Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #1

Ridding the lawn of dandelions?

Honestly, it's more dandelions than grass, any tips or am I going to have to go round and dig every single one up?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #2

Re: Ridding the lawn of dandelions?

I spray them with Lawn weed killer Randon, and it seems to work.....There seem to be lots of them this year, is it the year of the Dandelion??

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I spray them with Lawn weed killer Randon, and it seems to work.....There seem to be lots of them this year, is it the year of the Dandelion??
But will that not damage the grass too and there's not much grass once you take away the dandelions, lol!?

I've never had this problem before Moli, only the odd few which i've dug out and kept on top of them but at my new house the lawn is covered but I have also noticed where I walk the dogs is the same and I was just saying to my dad i'd never seen as many dandelions on the field, it's quite literally just a field of yellow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #4

When we first moved here the lawn was a nightmare as it had been so neglected over many years. Is that what you've got? inherited a previously unloved garden?

We used spot weed killers (like a big Pritt stick) can you still get those? Some we dug out, some we pulled the flower heads off before they had a chance to seed, and bit by bit it improved but it took a few years to get rid of them all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #5

They are a real nuisance aren't they and so difficult to dig out and make sure you get all the root. The little seeds blow everywhere especially on a really windy day and yes, I think it must be the Year of the Dandelion this year - I think there are more than ever. Don't suppose a herd of tortoises could munch them all up!!!

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
When we first moved here the lawn was a nightmare as it had been so neglected over many years. Is that what you've got? inherited a previously unloved garden?

We used spot weed killers (like a big Pritt stick) can you still get those? Some we dug out, some we pulled the flower heads off before they had a chance to seed, and bit by bit it improved but it took a few years to get rid of them all!
That's exactly it, well, I wouldn't say completely unloved as the borders have been kept quite nice and the lawn was short so obviously kept cut but has obviously just never been weeded, it's absolutely full of them!

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
They are a real nuisance aren't they and so difficult to dig out and make sure you get all the root. The little seeds blow everywhere especially on a really windy day and yes, I think it must be the Year of the Dandelion this year - I think there are more than ever. Don't suppose a herd of tortoises could munch them all up!!!
Maybe I could invest in a pet goat?

Yes I pulled a few from the borders but they are such a pain in the arris to dig up all the root especially as they have been there a while nad have became quite established, the ones on the lawn will be ever worse. I couldn't do the whole lawn in the same way and am a bit concerned about using chemicals on it with the animals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #8

The lawn weed killer is especially for lawns.spray just the weed, should not bother the grass...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #9

Angie beat me too it, I was going to suggest getting a giant tortoise My tortoise loves dandelions!! I agree there has been a lot of dandelions this year

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
The lawn weed killer is especially for lawns.spray just the weed, should not bother the grass...
Thanks Moli, i'll have a look when I go to B&Q next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Angie beat me too it, I was going to suggest getting a giant tortoise My tortoise loves dandelions!! I agree there has been a lot of dandelions this year
Ok giant tortoise it is!

Maybe it's been the weird weather we've had?