Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #1

Probably a silly question but....

...is there a way that I can keep the cats off my newly planted flower bed??? Especially stop them pooping on there!?!?!

I let them do their own thing over the winder months, but now that the sun is shining and I've spent money on plants to make my flower bed look nice, I'm not so keen on letting them dig bits up and poop there

My dad bought me some cat-friendly-repellent to sprinkle on top of the flower bed to (allegedly) stop them pooping there - but guess what!?!? It doesn't work There is a poop right on top of the "repellent" today

I know there are some keen gardeners on here so wondered if there were any tips!?!?!?

I think that perhaps my only option will be to either make a barrier out of netting and canes to stop them getting onto the flower bed, or cover it with netting - but this might detract from my beautiful flowers!!!!

HELP!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: British Shorthair
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #2

Re: Probably a silly question but....

I believe the repellent spray works. I'm going to have the same problem. I have a small pebbled garden at the front and just had some grasses in pots but someones cat keeps killing them off by peeing all over them! Not happy! We are building a planter at the minute out of sleepers so I'm going to try the spray as I don't want my flowers ruined too!

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lian
I believe the repellent spray works. I'm going to have the same problem. I have a small pebbled garden at the front and just had some grasses in pots but someones cat keeps killing them off by peeing all over them! Not happy! We are building a planter at the minute out of sleepers so I'm going to try the spray as I don't want my flowers ruined too!
Thanks Lian. Do you know what brand/name works???

Good luck with your garden too.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #4

Charlie, I use "Get Off" on my garden. It's a cat and dog repellent and I've been using it for years with success........ it's green gel crystals that you squirt over the soil (not on the plants!) , the smell is like very strong moth balls and it deters animals from soiling the area.....especially on freshly dug earth!

Obviously the smell will fade in time (especially if there has been a fall of rain) but you just repeat the process if you find the cats are going there again.

I buy mine from Robert Dyas but I expect you can get it from Garden Centres, DIY stores, pet stores or similar.

Here's a link to it........

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/get-off-my...n-crystals.htm

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #5

Oh, that's fab Thanks Mags - that sounds perfect.

If it's good enough to keep Cassie at bay hopefully it'll be good enough for my little terrors!!!

Edited to say - I've just found that Pets at Home stock it - so I'll pop there after work today

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Hope it works for you, Charlie;let us know! With them using the bed as "the place" over the Winter it's understandable that they don't realize that it's off limits now that the plants are there! How about a pic of the bed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #7

I was going to suggest what Mags has said. But may I also suggest you put a cat litter tray (or two) outside for them and then they will use that regardless and not asociate the soil as a toilet area but the cat tray.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #8

Also agree with Eileen how about a picture or two.

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I was going to suggest what Mags has said. But may I also suggest you put a cat litter tray (or two) outside for them and then they will use that regardless and not asociate the soil as a toilet area but the cat tray.
There is a litter tray out there - inside a kennel -type-thing - so they do have the option of using that!

I agree with what Eileen says though, as they have been using the flowerbed over the winter they won't now understand why I don't want them to use it!!!! They have no idea of the value of money and the cost of plants!!! lol

I'll take some piccies this weekend once I have put the finishing touches to the flowerbed