Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
21-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #11

Re: Whats everyone growing this year...??

Giant Bamboo, honest i'm useless with plants but my Cacti and Aloe are still alive so i'm going to give it a shot. It's all so complicated though, apparently I have to soak the seeds in salt water for 10 mins, then soak in warm water overnight, then sow them the next day, wish me luck, i'll need it!

I have enough trouble with the cat grass and you just put it in mud and leave it! I love gardening, it just doesn't love me, typical the only plants I do well with are the ones that produce all wee babies which I just don't have the heart to throw in the compost bin!

Eileen, my father offered me another type of Aloe last week after his sprouted 4 or 5 babies, I literally ran from the house!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #12

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by random
Giant Bamboo, honest i'm useless with plants but my Cacti and Aloe are still alive so i'm going to give it a shot. It's all so complicated though, apparently I have to soak the seeds in salt water for 10 mins, then soak in warm water overnight, then sow them the next day, wish me luck, i'll need it!

I have enough trouble with the cat grass and you just put it in mud and leave it! I love gardening, it just doesn't love me, typical the only plants I do well with are the ones that produce all wee babies which I just don't have the heart to throw in the compost bin!

Eileen, my father offered me another type of Aloe last week after his sprouted 4 or 5 babies, I literally ran from the house!
OMG, Random, I don't know if Giant Bamboo is anything like regular, but if it is, don't ! Years ago I made the mistake of putting some in and it infiltrated slowly and then suddenly took over the entire yard almost overnight; I could not cope with it and finally had to hire a landscaping crew to come and remove it by digging out the roots...just cutting it down doesn't work, it becomes even more vigorous!! About the aloes, all I can do is heave a heavy sigh....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #13

Hmmm I was just thinking about seeds you lot are def mind reading now.
But still planting my mountain of bulbs........could be a while till I get those in. But the garden is bursting with life, plants coming up everywhere I may need to take lots of pics and then thin oout in the Autumn.......Alex stand by to be besieged by plant cuttings.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
this year...what is everyone growing??
Older!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Older!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #16

I have a aloe vera I got from my pal, and its having babies, lots of them!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #17

I would love to be able to sprinkle a few seeds about and just take pot luck, but unfortunately my ground is so stony that the poor things wouldn't stand a chance. So either I buy plants or raise them in seedtrays first. I was very successful with penstemon a few years ago - excellent "doers"!

Catsey Veteran

22-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I have a aloe vera I got from my pal, and its having babies, lots of them!!!
Oh, they do, they do indeed! Ask Random!

Speaking of babies (sorry, off topic), how are the fish?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
22-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #19

Hi
I am growing 2 sorts of baby carrots, leeks, red onions, french dwarf beans ( 2 sort on ethat climbs) and runner beans

Tilly

Catsey Veteran

22-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilly
Hi
I am growing 2 sorts of baby carrots, leeks, red onions, french dwarf beans ( 2 sort on ethat climbs) and runner beans

Tilly
I've never grown leeks, Tilly, so you do them from seed or sets? I like leeks but had never thought of growing them. Do they need a light soil?