Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #1

Helping out. Little things.

Just wondered what little things you do for your neighbours, or they do for you.

Well today I have fixed the toilet flush for a couple by me they were being quoted £70+ callout only....I imagine thats because the job is so small. I know how to do this as I did it myself not to long ago. I am not a plumber.

However I also have put up hanging basket brackets for three other people by me an elderly lady a young single mom who tries but the drill is a step to far, and a chap who is just fingers and thumbs... Myself, Sally and her daughter Hayley have also cut Mr K's grass (he lives opposite me and Sally's next door neighbour he is in hospital with heart trouble but now Pneumonia) he's been there for about 2 months now. So his grass needed cutting. His family have enough to do.
While I was doing this the chap over the road Martin was fixing (temp fix) my windscreen wipers. I am awaiting a new motor to come into stock at rover dealer. John two doors down from me was jump starting Elaine's car as her battery was dead, then Martin ran her to Halfords to get a new battery then fitted it for her.

We all get on around here anyhow but sometimes we do go into "Walton mode" as Dave my OH calls it. He says we are all brainwashed and the Stepford wives....... ...just because he is a miserable cuss

A lady from the maisonettes has been offered a house and will not move because she said "here she feels safe/cared for and among family" she is a single Mom with two young lads.

Not trying to blow my own trumpet just stating the World is not as bad as we are sometimes led to believe it is by the media.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #2

Re: Helping out. Little things.

You sound as if you have got a lovely supportive community where you live Karen - "planet earth" is it? Treasure it - few and far between in my experience. Although my neighbours are pleasant and we do chat when we meet and have even been known to pop around at Christmas for a bit of cheer, that's all that happens here. I did actually help one neighbour when her dog got bitten by another dog - but that was because I heard the terrible noise and had to go and investigate - no one else did!

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #3

We are not a knock and enter neighbourhood we keep to ourselves too but we do seem to "help" each other etc.

I think it about more than we realise, I mean we did not have to cut Mr K's grass, but we have. A little niceness goes a long way.

I could not cope with livig in people's pockets....but I do like living somewhere where I could open my door and shout for help and it would be forthcoming.
Or know who lives where or drives what, and it seems once you speak to people ie "could you give us a hand" or "can I help you." the more it spreads.........like a smile it goes a long way

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #4

My neighbours (on one side) are very helpful and always have been. As you know we are renovating our house and they have helped whenever they can and they are not young, nor in the best of health.
If OH is clearing the drains the neighbour will roll up his sleeves and get stuck in, They pull our bins back in when we have gone to work and far too many things to mention really. We have been the same back to them too. The guy over the road, (and we live on a busy main road), always rushes over when he see's OH doing something he can lend a hand with. It really is fantastic.
We lived in a close before and noboby budged an inch to lend a hand for anything

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
My neighbours (on one side) are very helpful and always have been. As you know we are renovating our house and they have helped whenever they can and they are not young, nor in the best of health.
If OH is clearing the drains the neighbour will roll up his sleeves and get stuck in, They pull our bins back in when we have gone to work and far too many things to mention really. We have been the same back to them too. The guy over the road, (and we live on a busy main road), always rushes over when he see's OH doing something he can lend a hand with. It really is fantastic.
We lived in a close before and noboby budged an inch to lend a hand for anything

Thats lovely and do you not find yourself "wanting to help" the and others because you are helped..... .....what goes around comes around.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #6

We've looked after cats/houses for neighbours that we get on with, and (repeatedly) cut another neighbour's lawn - but that's coz when he lived there he and his old lady were lazy so-and-sos and now they're renting the house out it's coz no other b*gger will do it and their scruffy lawn makes our garden look a mess and I don't like that.

We do look out for each other as we've had a bit of trouble here with low lifes either squatting or breaking in so we will call/email each other if something is worrying us.

But that's about it really . . .

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
We've looked after cats/houses for neighbours that we get on with, and (repeatedly) cut another neighbour's lawn - but that's coz when he lived there he and his old lady were lazy so-and-sos and now they're renting the house out it's coz no other b*gger will do it and their scruffy lawn makes our garden look a mess and I don't like that.

We do look out for each other as we've had a bit of trouble here with low lifes either squatting or breaking in so we will call/email each other if something is worrying us.

But that's about it really . . .
What do you mean thats about it thats loads Yola, I would not mind living by you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
18-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #8

I hate one of my neighbours and the others moved in about a year ago and I have only seen them once or twice. I dont know anybody around me and they dont know me. Prefer it that way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #9

My next door neighbour on one side is really good. he will feed the rabbit if we are away, cuts the hedge etc. We will put out each others bins, keep an eye on houses while on hols. Rosemary (the wife) has also shown me how to work my sewing machine on occasion lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Thats lovely and do you not find yourself "wanting to help" the and others because you are helped..... .....what goes around comes around.
yes exactly that you are more willing, we were anyway but they really helped us to settle in