Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #11

Re: Leia Chapter Two, Good News Bad News

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I'm back to my Pino Grigio this afternoon' don't need the big guns today!
@ Eileen!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #12

Glad things are going ok Eileen. And that you dont need to force the AB down poor Leia!!! A dry food diet is not usually recommended for cystitus prone cats - something my vet mentioned to me with Chloe's cystitus!!

She didnt have much but I have stopped it all together.

Also interesting your vet says not to use the AB and just use the antiinflamatory drops. My vet says to use the AB even though they know its not infection but inflamation!! (Wonder whether my vet just wants to get as much money from me as he can and prescribed AB when all I really needed was the antiinflamatory??)

Good luck anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #13

You've raised an interesting point, Donna! Why would he recommend AB when there's no infection! I'm just relieved that I don't have to use it; worked OK the first time as she wasn't expecting it, but when she saw the syringe this morning.......

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
22-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #14

Vets usually prescribe AB's as a matter of course, to be on the safe side in case there is an infection there, But with cystitis AB can exacerbate the problem if the cystitis becomes recurring. (take it from one who knows just what poor Leia is going through).

I have never fed just a complete dry feed, all the cats have had at least one meal a day of meat or fish of some sort, tinned, pouched or home cooked, and half-and -half milk and water. So far, Touch wood I've never had any problem with cystitis.(well I have, the cats haven't )Logoes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #15

All my love to you and Leia xxx

Catsey Veteran

22-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
All my love to you and Leia xxx
Thanks, Elaine! Same to you, the Diva and Bernie!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #17

Hope she's back to full fitness quickly Eileen, best of luck.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

22-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoes
Vets usually prescribe AB's as a matter of course, to be on the safe side in case there is an infection there, But with cystitis AB can exacerbate the problem if the cystitis becomes recurring. (take it from one who knows just what poor Leia is going through).

I have never fed just a complete dry feed, all the cats have had at least one meal a day of meat or fish of some sort, tinned, pouched or home cooked, and half-and -half milk and water. So far, Touch wood I've never had any problem with cystitis.(well I have, the cats haven't )Logoes.
Leia doesn't get dry food as a main meal, but as a (frequent) treat. She has half a can of moist at breakfast and the rest at dinner; gets a small handful of dry at lunch, tea time and pre-bedtime snack. Since she got the cystitis I've moistened the dry with milk or some gravy if the tin she was having had a lot of gravy. She doesn't like it soggy as much as plain, but I think she needs the extras liquid..and she eats it, soggy or not! Vet hasn't called yet re diet; will give him another ring...we've been playing phone tag!

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
22-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #19

Just a quick idea Eileen, I get goat's milk for India, and freeze it into ice cubes, that way you can used just what you want and it doesn't go off. one or two cubes with the equal amount of water. Ummm, of course Leia could be picky and Not like goat's milk !!!! but it is better for their digestion than cow's milk. Logoes

Catsey Veteran

22-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #20

That's a good suggestion, Logoes, and I'll keep it in mind for the future. Should have said that I was moistening the dry food with cat milk, not people milk...this is called Catsip (riduculous name!) and is formulated for lactose-intolerant cats, which many of them are as they grow out of kittenhood and mum's milk. Patches is the only cat I owned who kept drinking milk avidly all her adult life!