Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #1

Leia just back from the vet!!

Yesterday I was discussing cystitis here; well, last night Leia started going to the box about every 20 minutes and weeing just a drop or so, no blood or crying, but I was upset, and when she was still doing it this morning, called and got an emergency appt, at the vet's. Horrible: she screamed all the way there (my neighbor Jim drove us, can't take a cat in a carrier on the bus here), then when we got there, she managed to burst out of the carrier, guess the latch wasn't completely secured, and starting tearing through the waiting room (several dogs!!) frantically trying to escape! Finally caught her with help from the staff, but I was shaking by then; already nervous. They saw her right away. I had told the Doctor tht there had been no blood in her urine, so naturally when he had her on the examining table, she peed a few drops with blood in them!! To make a long story short, the X-rays showed no obstructions. Have to wait for the urinalysis, but they gave her fluids (she wasn't dehydrated, it was to increase the urine output), gave her an antibiotic. Also, I have to give her Clavamox liquid by mouth twice a day for a week!! Not sure if I can do that, but will try! This is the first time in her life that she's had to go to the vet since she had her shots and was spayed, and she was terrifued, and I am a nervous wreck! Just for comparison purposes will list the cost of the visit so you can compare to what your vets charge, Totl bill: $381.60. Exam/urgent care: 110,00; Radiogram (2 views) - 185.00; Lactate Ringers : 18.25; Urinalysis 39.00; Clavamox - 29.35. What a day!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #2

Re: Leia just back from the vet!!

Poor Leia. Hope she feel better very soon, I also hope your nerves have calmed down too xxx

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #3

Well, assoon as we got home she made right for the box, and is there now! As for me. a good martini will do a lot to calm me down! I've had better days!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #4

Poor Leia and poor you Eileen, hope you enjoy your martini. (anyone any idea of the current exchange rate, to compare prices).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #5

Poor girl hope she gets better soon.... Hope the martini's are calming you down too DM....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
20-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #6

PHEW! bet your're pleased to be back Eileen! Hope she gets better quickly, no more repeats of today for you or Leia for a long time!
Dawn.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #7

Oh Eileen, what a day you've had! I hope both you and Leia are feeling calmer now.

I've converted your dollars to UK pounds so that we can compare the costs....

Exam/Urgent care .......... $110.00 ( £55.98 )
Radiogram x 2 ................ $185.00 ( £94.15)
Lactate Ringers ............ .$ 18.25 ( £ 9.29)
Urinalysis ..................... $ 39.00 ( £19.85)
Clavamox ...................... $ 29.35 ( £14.94)

TOTAL............ $381.60 (£194.20)

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #8

yikes! Aren't vet costs wonderful (you know they'll be having a merry christmas)

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #9

Thanks, Moli! Notice you said martinis - plural! That's what it'll take; I think I'm more nervous about going to the vet than she is, and she was indeed very nervous! Has calmed down since we're home, but still weeing about every 20 minutes. What concerns me is having to give her oral antitbiotics; could never pill a cat, ever, so am worried.......do you have any suggestions? Or anyone here?

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #10

not really Eileen, my 3 just let me stuff it down their throats no problems. What about the old cheese trick?