Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
11-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #1

Skinny and needs to put on weight

As you all know Clementine is a house cat and she went missing last monday and was found wandering thru a neighbours cat flap looking somewhat confused.
We believe she may have been locked in a garage as she had oil on her fur, and the garages at the end of the next street was where someone thought they saw her on the first day of her dissapearence.
Anyway we presume she hhasnt eatne for somewhat 6 days. and she is supah thin, and we gave her a whiskhas pouch when she first came home, as our neighbour had jsut given her dry. Anyway, we gave her a pouch of whiskas and as she hasnt eaten in all that time she sicked it straight back up, and she wasnt very intersted after this in cat food, so we have been giving her a mixture of sardines, Tuna, chicken and rice. And she has been eating this liek nobodies business, but is still very skinny, so any ideas how to get her too eat a bit more, and how to get her to put back on weight?
Best wishes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Skinny and needs to put on weight

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage Luke. She will regain the weight eventually and better that she regains it gradually than trying to cram her with food which she will most likely throw back. I would feed her as you normally would and perhaps offer her one small extra meal each day until she regains her former weight.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #3

I would start her off on steamed/boiled fish if she hasn't eaten properly for days.....it will be a lot easier on her stomach...then gradually introduce her normal food.
In the time she hasn't been eating properly her stomach will have shrunk so the worse thing you could do is force lots of food into her too quickly.
Take it steady and she will soon be your old Clementine....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
11-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice, a friend told us if she not into cat food, maybe try her on kittens food,. anyone reccomend this?
Best wishes

Catsey Senior

13-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #5

Some people are very anti raw diet
But i find raw lamb mince with bonemeal is a good one for bulking cats up

Some people even use Oxtongue and chicken wings

I also feed my girls kitten food when they are in kitten..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
19-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Thanks for the advice, a friend told us if she not into cat food, maybe try her on kittens food,. anyone reccomend this?
Best wishes
my reggies a skinny cat,he got stressed out after a fight,and its taken him ages to get meat on his bones again,ive been giving him kitten food/and bit of creamy cheese (he loves primula cheese) glad u got your cat back.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
19-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #7

Luke, In my oppinion as long as she's eating she'll be fine. If she's partial to sardines, tuna or whatever just feed her it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #8

I am glad she has come back!
When Frankie went missing for days a little while ago, she started on cat milk and kitten food! But that was as her own choice, she chose what she wanted to eat and drink to sort herself out!
I think cats will generally sort themselves out! If they dont want to eat or drink, they wont!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #9

Oh Luke - what a scare!
Think I'd just go with the - give her what she'll eat - school of thought. Mine love cold chicken or sliced ham!