Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Re: Not winning with Bovril.

Farthing you probably saved him with the fluid intake there.
For what it's worth here's my experience on Vidalta:

Number 1: Fish is never recommended for a cat fighting h'rthyroidism, it can be too high in purines. Try and stick to white meat or beef. Lots of warm home made broth (simply boil chicken bones) is welcome. I know my Mitzi relished this every day mixed in with her wet food. Try and wean Bovril off of the fish a wee bit, but if this is all Bovril will eat then something's better than nothing.

Number 2: Yes, on 1st using Vidalta it can really slow a cat down in every respect, it can be a bit of a shock to the system. Although the results said the dose should be 15mg, I found that Mitzi was too just too poorly, no appetite, 'slow' and plainly depressed at times on this and better on a slightly lower dose of 10mg daily. Simply adjusting the dose brought her back to near normal because the Vidalta was suppressing things just that little bit too much for her. It can be difficult sometimes to get the careful balance with Vidalta on some cats, likewise it can take a while for your cat to adjust. Only you and your vet can agree or what is right for dear Bovril. I hope he continues to feel better, with your TLC farthing.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
13-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #12

I have no insight on what could be ailing Bovril, just want to send you the very best and many healing thoughts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #13

Bovril is doing really well, active and yelling for food, his eyes are much less sunken too.
He's still a bit fussy, doesn't eat 'chunky' food but loves Lily's kitchen packs. I'm feeding him whatever he likes just to keep him going, we are back to the vet on Friday with him and will make a decision about his meds, he won't be going back on vidalta though. I'll try him with the z-d diet although I suspect he won't eat it...... It doesn't appear to be very palatable. If that doesn't work we will try felimazole. Fluffy didn't do well on vidalta either but was fine on felimazole.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #14

That sounds so promising farthing, fingers crossed Bovril keeps improving.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
16-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #15

I'm so glad Bovril is rallying. What a fabulous Mum you are Farthing. I always feel so sorry for poorly animals because they can't say where it hurts. It's awful to have an animal that you know is hungry but they won't eat, heartbreaking. Great news, everything crossed, including Angie's fingers!

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #16

Less good news again today. Bovril sounds a bit wheezy, which is a concern as he's just finished his convenia course and had a top up injection on Friday of another 3 day antibiotic.
He's quieter today again, so another vet visit for us.
This is so stressful, I wish I knew what was going on!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
17-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #17

You're doing the very best you can, Farthing. Poor little chap, at least everyone is batting for him. It is stressful when an animal is poorly, I wish him well and hopefully the vet will find the problem and the solution.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #18

Poor little Bovril, my fingers are still firmly crossed for him.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
17-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #19

My thoughts go out to you Farthing, they are such a worry because we love them so much, as Fecto's mum says, if only they could tell us where it hurts!

Furrballs can cause some nasty blockages and wheezing, something to ask your vets perhaps tomorrow as Bovril is longhaired.

Also, have you done the dehydration test recently. If the skin doesn't bounce back mix up some rehydration fluid and drizzle it in slowly.
That's all I can think of for now. I hope the vet gets to the bottom of it soon.

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #20

After panicking and making an appointment, Bovril had a big cough and bit of a retch and his breathing settled. He isn't dehydrated, I'm mixing his food with warm water, breaking it up at the same time. He's not eaten as much today though but his eyes are much more alert. I do wonder if he has something like arthritis in his jaw, but it seems strange it's suddenly happened now, I am paranoid about him.
I cancelled the appointment in the end, he's in for a re-examine on Friday anyway and I don't think the vet will find anything new.