Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
08-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Reggies had a kidney infection

hes getting better. but trying to give him his meds. OMG ive got a puncture wound on 1 finger. he bit down to the bone. and another wound where he bit me between the thumb n finger. ive tried the wrap in a towel. (the wounds show that was a disaster) ive tried the dissolve n syringe down the throat. im now crushing up the pill in salmon. hes now confined to the bathroom with a small amount of salmon and there he will stay until he eats it. hes back at the vets tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Re: Reggies had a kidney infection

Oh goodness boys mum ....... sorry to hear about reggie and about your wounds trying to pill him. Tell him to man up and take his medicine! I know it's hard and probably a two-person job to pill a cat. Hope he improves very soon.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
08-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Wow, boys mum, sounds like you've got a real tiger there. Have you tried putting him down a coat sleeve, sometimes that has worked for me. I would get the bites looked at as well, cat bites are very dirty. I've had several over the years that have gone septic and needed antibiotics. Hope Reggie gets better soon and is easier to handle!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

Containment seems the answer, and yes, it seems cruel and they will yowl and perform, but they don't bear grudges and it needs to be done. Reggie - stop giving your mum a hard time. And I'll call you Reggie's Mum now xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #5

sorry to hear Reggie has a kidney infection. I am afraid to say that i have never managed to pill a cat except in pieces of food which for me and the cats was a very successful method.
Does Reggie like cheese or chicken ? i found foods which mold around the food good. I used to pill Tuppence by putting her pill in a swirl of hairball treatment which she ate with no problem.
Hope he goes on ok at the vets tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

tried the cheese method. no chance. hmmm putting him in a coat sleeve. now theres an idea. what i want is a cat sack. a sack with a drawstring around the neck.
hes eaten a bit of his salmon but i wont give him anything else.untill hes eaten it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

Sometimes cruel to be kind is the only way. I hope Reg is his old self soon and that he stops biting his Mum!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
08-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #8

Hope he's better soon. We found that the dehydrated meat treats we got for Smudge work really well as you can dampen them and mould them around the pill. They are called Cosmo Snackies and work well with Cleo (luckily as we have to pill her again for a week due to another bout of cystitis).

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

took him back ti the vets today for a checkup. hes been reprieved the tablets for now. got to take painkillers once a day. liquid form. via a syringe zlot easier.and another water sample tuesday. and if hes no better hes to have an antibiotic injection every couple of days. poor boy.hes always been a stressy sort of cat. so the tablet taking wasnt doing him anygood. hes snuggled up next to me quite happy now. hes eating and drinking nicely so thats a plus isnt it. and he isnt constantly drinking like he was before.
also got to get the dog back to the vets as his hips have been bad. but hes on a severe diet so hes constantly moaning for more food.
quite an expensive time at the moment!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #10

What a time you are having reggie's mum - glad to hear reggie is off the tabs for now - give you a chance to heal up. Poor dog, they do so love their food, don't they?