Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

16-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #1

Cat's got the squirts!!

Hi there folks
It's been a while since I was on here, a bit naughty of me really.
Right nitty gritty time:
" adult cats approx 7 years old (rescue) sisters, 1's an outy and 1's an inny. Piper my inny, doesn't spend much time out and about, she's a bit porky, and has the squirts pretty bad, her food hasn't changed (dry daily and occasional wet or fish), she doesn't drink milk, and her demeanour is fine, she doesn't "act" ill.
Paige my outy, spends most of her nights out, she doesn't use the tray much and I really don't know if she's suffering the same, except she is mega skinny and has been all summer, quite honestly I put it down to being out so much in the summer months and not eating properly, although I know she has been catching meece's n stuff and eating them.
New kit kat, kitten, 6 months old, she stays in the house, in fact she won't come down stairs at all cos the big cats pick on her, so she has no real contact with them, has also got the squirts, she does have milk and I have stopped this over the last few days, and have been giving her more dry food than wet.
I am worried, but am reluctant to do a vets run, mainly cos Piper gets really really distressed and it really upsets her. I am about to worm them all with the spot on stuff.
I am a novice with cats really, as I've only had them since March 04.
I also have a dog who is fit and healthy (don't know if it makes any diff)

Would really appreciate any advice
xxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #2

Re: Cat's got the squirts!!

Hi hw good to see you here! Have they all been wormed recently?? If not that would be my starting point., get a good round worm and tapeworm wormer from your vet. If they have been wormed and this problem persists then I would be inclined to get them checked out especially if one of them has lost quite a bit of weight. HTH let us know how you get on.

Oh and if they do need worming then deflea them as well as fleas and worms go hand in hand

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #3

I was going to ask if they needed worming H.....what is the name of the worming treatment you use?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #4

Hello - This is what I would do -I would not feed the "squitty" cat for 24 hours & give plenty of fluids - then I'd give some chicken or scrambled egg (made with water) - then I'd start to reintroduce the normal diet. If still squitty - I'd get the vet to check her over.

Not a good idea to worm her whilst she's not 100% - but I would worm them all soon.

There is a brand new "spot on" TX for cats , that will worm & treat for fleas

HTH - from another west Midlander who has a close friend in Tamworth!

Catsey Veteran

16-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
There is a brand new "spot on" TX for cats , that will worm & treat for fleas
Have you tried it Smudgley? Any idea of cost and how often it needs to be used? Does it worm for round and tapeworm?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #6

Only other thing I would suggest as a possible cause is maybe they're nibbling house plant leaves (if you have any that is). I know if mine have been at the greenery it sometimes give them tummy upsets.

Any other changes in the household? Could stress be a factor?

Apart from that I would also suggest a diet of cooked chicken for 24 hours and then a gradual re-introduction of usual diet . . . this is what works with my cats' squitty botties

Catsey Veteran

16-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Not a good idea to worm her whilst she's not 100% - but I would worm them all soon
hw did say the cats were not showing signs of being unwell Smudgley so I would think ok to worm. I agree with a light diet and slowly introducing 'normal' food...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
hw did say the cats were not showing signs of being unwell Smudgley so I would think ok to worm. I agree with a light diet and slowly introducing 'normal' food...
I know & whilst I'm sure it would be fine - personally I wouldn't worm one whilst it had diarrhoea or even "loose stools" -

I haven't used the new spot on stuff & can't remember it's name - but it does worm for TW / RW & treat for fleas etc. No idea of the cost. It was released about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'll try & get the name for you PK.

Catsey Veteran

17-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #9

A bad wormy tum could be causing the diarrhoea and in some cases can cause vomiting too

Yes thanks Smudgley I would be interested to know the name of the new product