Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
14-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #1

What Vetting is Needed?

Hello everyone.

For those that do not know yet, I am very new to cats and am trying to learn as much as possible for 2 feral cats I am recently caring for.

In terms of vetting, what is most beneficial? How often should cats be vaccinated for rabies? Are there any diseases that can be transmitted to dogs? How about deworming?

Please feel free to share any and all info you want.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Re: What Vetting is Needed?

In UK, it is generally recommended that cats are protected annually against:

Feline infectious enteritis
Feline herpes virus
Feline calicivirus
Feline leukaemia virus*.

*Current recommendations are that only at risk cats are given vaccine against feline leukemia virus.

On a 3 monthly basis it is recommended that a cat is wormed (roundworm and tapeworm) and approximately monthly against fleas - look for one that covers eggs, larvae and adult fleas.

I must stress that this applies to the UK and things that you need to protect against in Canada may be quite different!

This is all in addition to making sure your animal is spayed or neutered.

Good luck looking after your furry visitors.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
14-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

Hi timber, I know you are on a small income so maybe a local or national charity can be approached to help with some basic vet care. i.e., neutering and flea treatment. Private vet prices are very costly but have chat with the practice and see if there is an arrangement to pay in monthly instalments to cover routine costs. This is what I do with my 2 cats, they each get yearly vacs and their flea treatment/wormers for the price and there's no huge bill at the end.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
14-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

PP's idea about approaching a charity to help is a good one.
You may find vaccination schedules different in Canada.
I know in the USA vets are now saying that some vaccines last for 3 years. As of yet this hasn't spread to the uk .