Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
02-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Treats for a diabetic cat

Hi all,
Smudge was recently diagnosed as diabetic. We have her on diabetic food recommended by the vet which thankfully she likes and are getting the hang of giving her insulin. We were told not to give her Dreamies which is a bit of a problem as shaking the packet is a good way to get her to come in. Does anyone have any ideas of treats suitable for a diabetic cat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #2

Re: Treats for a diabetic cat

Try to avoid treat which contain things like corn syrup, malt flavouring or other sugars such as glucose, dextrose, basically anything ending in "ose" is a sugar lol.
Provided your cat doesn't have kidney issues too, try to find something which lists meat as the main ingredient.

A few treat suggestions may be, green beans? If that would appeal to her, doesn't sound great to me though.
Cheese? Quite high in fat though.

Why not check out zooplus, they have a lot of treats which are just dried meats.......

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #3

Aha thanks- I've ordered a trial pack of freeze dried meat and fish. We tried dried whitebait but madam turned her nose up.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

How about the odd fresh prawn?

If all else fails there is always Vaseline, it has no nutritional value at all but can help prevent furballs and constipation although too much can hamper vitamin absorption.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #5

I did share a couple of my prawns with her. It's having a packet to shake which really helps- she can hear treats from a field away so it has always worked to get her home. I'll see how she gets on with the freeze dried stuff. At least she is eating the food! Poor thing has had a tough few weeks but we are getting there.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #6

Is her prescription diet a dried food? If so, why not put some in a dreamies packet just for shaking purposes

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
02-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #7

My diabetic oldie loves Whiskas kitbits and gets 4 a day with her injections

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #8

That's good thinking!

A bit expensive perhaps but a friend on another forum has a dehumidifier and dries meat such as liver or chicken for her dogs. No added anything.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Is her prescription diet a dried food? If so, why not put some in a dreamies packet just for shaking purposes
Hi no it's canned- I think the dehydrated/freeze dried meat sounds like the way to go but if she hates them I'll try the kitbits. It wouldn't hurt her to not have treats but they always have and it would be good to find an alternative- the other two are being denied them atm as we can't open the packet quietly enough!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
03-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #10

What about thrive? http://www.thrivepetfoods.com/cats/treats
Or chickin wing tips? http://www.naturalinstinct.com/wing-tips/ -these guys are great, I get my raw from here.