Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
20-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Constant licking....going bald?

Hello.

About four weeks ago we rescued a one year old female cat from a rescue. She had runny poops from the day we got her home but I assumed it was the change in environment causing it. We continued to feed her the food she had at the rescue.

Since day one we have discovered that she scrounges for food all the time and dives on any food she sees! She will even steel a small pot of blended baby food (with lid on) and will take the lid off and start eating it if I don't catch her fast enough! She chews bottle teats and will run off will baby spoons if they have been left.

Anyway, after two weeks of runny poops but otherwise a very healthy cat, I decided to try her on chicken and rice. As she was well in herself I didn't mention the poop to the vet as I thought this was normal and would soon settle. She had her first vaccination.

Since being on the chicken and rice diet, her poop got worse. It looked like a chicken korma gone wrong. I took her to the vets yesterday and they did a full health check. The vet even asked me if I was sure she was the cat having the bad poops as she appeared so well!! I took a poop sample to show the vet.....she requested three more samples....which I handed in at the surgery today.

As she has been pooping lots she has been licking and washing herself lots too. Since the vet trip yesterday, I have noticed she is licking even more and she has bald back legs and her long haired tail is starting to look bald on the base.

She definitely does not have fleas (vets first thought for her bald tail) and her poop seems to be better since the vet trip yesterday .... even though the vet didn't give her any treatment. Anyway, I am still wondering why she had the bad runny poops and why is she licking herself excessively? Any ideas?

Thank you. I look forward to reading your replies/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #2

Re: Constant licking....going bald?

Allergies. We have a cat that is highly allergic to foodstuffs and lots of things in her environment - when highly irritated our girl would lick herself excessively too.

Now what are you feeding? Our youngest had diarrhoea for six months before we hit on a food that agreed with him. "ProPlan delicate". A lovely lady from this forum told me about it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Re: Constant licking....going bald?

Allergies or extreme stress. Both can be difficult to diagnose and treat. I hope you and your vet are able to get to the (ahem) bottom of this.