Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #31

Re: Tempting a cat to eat?

I pretty much know that site back to front so if you struggle to find what you are looking for just yell.
Does he chew on your house plants? ~If you have any. Does he go out~?
Although the important thing now is fluids, it can take several days for the urea and creatinine levels to come down.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
11-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #32

Thanks, that's really appreciated.

We do have house plants, but he has no interest in them. He hasn't been out in 3 months since we moved house, before that he would go outside reluctantly and not for long periods, since we moved to Northern Ireland in May 2011. In England he was an active indoor/outdoor cat.

I will be wanting him on the IV for more than a couple of days, if he's showing signs of improvement.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #33

hope Oscar is feeling better soon, poor boy.
One thing when he does show signs of being hungry, maybe you could take some of his own food in for him. I don't know whether he's a fussy eater or not but years ago when Jerry was in the vets he wouldn't touch their food. He also benefited from me visiting him.

Catsey Junior

12-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #34

Hi again.

Oscar had another blood test this morning, and his levels have come down again, although still not by much or very quickly.

His urea is now 69, from 77 yesterday, and his cretinine is 1000, from 1100 yesterday.

The vet's suggestion was to continue with the IV today and tonight, taking it day by day. Although he said that *some* people would consider PTS if their cat hasnt shown considerably improvement by now, and considering the cost aspect, which seems rather...extreme. Though I'm not sure if that's a reasonable opinion or not?

The cost isn't an issue for now, so I'm more than happy to carry on with the IV if it could be beneficial, and I'm going to see him tonight. The vet sounded rather surprised but pleased when I asked if I could visit, as if not many people ask to do that?

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #35

thanks for the update, he is going in the right direction albeit slowly.
You are right to visit him and yes i don't think many people think to do this but as i have said i did and i felt it helped.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #36

I too think you are absolutely right to visit him, I know I would.
As for the fluids, I have known cats to be on fluids for a week before seeing a significant improvement. The point here is that the levels are coming down, I'd be more concerned if they were sticking. Such high levels will be making him feel nausious but maybe when you visit you could try tempting him with something nice.
I have everything crossed that he will pull through this.
Just a thought but do you have insurance for him?

Catsey Junior

12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #37

Thanks you two.

He seemed really pleased to see me, poor pet, and he's definitely looking perkier than he did on Monday when I took him in. He's still not interested in the renal-specific food, but they're trying him with different food tonight so I took one of his usual Whiskas pouches down to see if he'd take that.

He's still a very sick boy, but will be having another blood test tomorrow. I'll be at work tomorrow, so I'm rather nervous about having to field that call at work :/

Elaine - No he doesn't have insurance, and I don't think I could take any out for him now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #38

I am sending huge healing vibes for Oscar - glad the levels are decreasing albeit slowly.

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #39

glad you managed to visit Oscar, i don't think the renal diets are the most tempting of foods, unfortunately. Did he eat any of the whiskas ?
I hope the blood test results are ok tomorrow

Catsey Junior

13-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #40

Thanks angieh, really means a lot to know people are thinking of us.

Just back from work now, and had the results of today's blood test this morning.

His levels have come down yet again, by quite a large drop today. His urea is 51 from 69 yesterday, and his cretinine is 800 from 1000 yesterday. Again, he'll spend the night in and on the IV, with more blood work tomorrow. He still hasn't got much of an appetite, bar licking a little jelly off the Whiskas wet food I took in last night.

I assume he'll be getting the nutrients he needs from other methods than conventional solid food while he's in there? Might be a silly question, but I hope the vets are finding a way of him not-starving!

Closed Thread