Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Feline Dementia

Tommy my old stray cat that has live with me for the past three and a half years all of a sudden does not want to come into the house , he will sit outside in the cold weather although I call him. he is not eating very well .and then a couple of hours later he seems ok . I think he is loosing the plot???? ..any suggestions..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Re: Feline Dementia

Several members here have had cats exhibiting classic feline dementia symptoms such as night-time howling but I guess it is much less easy to spot with a cat when age is not easily determined. Bless you for taking care of this cat btw!

There could be other problems such as high blood pressure or an infection at work .......... if you can, I'd pop Tommy to the vet for a general check up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

I would suggest a vet visit. I had one old Persian who went very 'odd' mind you, he was pretty 'odd' to start with but it compounded with age. The other one did the howling and went quite trance-like at times, which turned out to be very high blood pressure.

If you can get Tommy into a carrier and get him checked over then that would be best. Mind you, there can be so many reasons why such symptoms are manifested that you may need to be quite persistent with you vet to get them to check all possible options.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

sorry to hear about Tommy's odd behaviour. Is it possible that something has changed in the house to maybe put him off coming inside ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

A vet visit would be my suggestion....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
14-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Many thanks for your replies ..I took Tommy to the vet and he had a very bad mouth infection ,the poor boy must have been in agony .it was a virus that was contagious to other cats and it would have been an ongoing condition . no cure .so it was decided to PTS.
Tommy was a stray cat that moved in with me three and a half years ago, so at least he was looked after and loved for that time of his life .

RIP Buddy..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

So sorry to hear about Tommy, poor boy RIP.

As you say he was cared for and loved after having been a stray and that will have counted for a great deal for him.

Global Moderator

14-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

So sorry to hear about Tommy, John ......

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #9

Run free Tommy

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
14-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

So sorry to hear about Tommy. He was a lucky boy to have found you to spend the rest of his time with.