Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
19-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Billy Update

Hello Everyone, I hope all humans and furbabies are in fine form.

I took Billy for a check up this morning and dropped off a urine sample.

My lovely vet just rang me with the results. Urine tests came back stable, but Billy's lost the weight he put back on when the medication kicked in, and she wants to get to the bottom of it so we're off for a blood test next week. He had to go to the cattery for 4 days last week and they're absolutely brilliant there but he doesn't get the 'little and often' he's used to at home so I think that may account for at least some of the weight loss. He's certainly been tucking in since he got home!

Generally speaking, he's happy and interested in life and his energy levels are tons better than they were when he was first diagnosed earlier in the year. Maybe he just needs his thyroid meds re-adjusting? We shall find out.

Becky (my vet) has suggested a whiff of 'laughing gas' for him next week so he doesn't get distressed like he did last time blood was taken. Of course, I'll keep you posted on the blood test results.

.....now I just need to find *something* that gets the ruddy weight back on him! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Re: Billy Update

Hi Gaina! Glad to hear that apart from his weight, Billy is doing fine. I would think you are right - it was his spell in the cattery that has caused the loss, especially as you say he's eating well now. Maybe he needs a tiny bit more medication - guess you'll find out next week.

Good to hear that you have a vet who sounds on the ball with Billy.

Catsey Junior

19-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Hi Gaina! Glad to hear that apart from his weight, Billy is doing fine. I would think you are right - it was his spell in the cattery that has caused the loss, especially as you say he's eating well now. Maybe he needs a tiny bit more medication - guess you'll find out next week.

Good to hear that you have a vet who sounds on the ball with Billy.
Hello Angie

Yes, I make sure we see one or other of the two vets who know his history best now. I'm hoping he'll put at least a *little* weight on before next week. It's a shame as he was doing so well, but the trip we had to make was for a funeral so unfortunately unavoidable.

Hope you're well

Catsey Junior

26-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #4

Hello All

Billy went for his blood test this morning. The results of the blood test will be back tomorrow but he had a scan today as well, and his kidneys showed 'nothing remarkable' (vet's words) but his liver looked abnormal and Becky (vet) says there seems to be some abnormal tissue there.

Going on the theory that knowledge is power I've been reading up on liver disease in cats a I have found that the most common cause is Fatty Liver Disease, which can also occur in conjunction with hyperthyroidism. I don't know if that would show up as 'abnormal tissue' on a scan?

Anyway he's happy in himself and eating well so I am taking heart from that. We only noticed his weight loss after he came back from four days at the cattery (during which he was probably reluctant to eat as he's used to getting whatever he fancies at home, which obviously doesn't happen at the cattery).

Has anyone else experienced FLD in their cat and how was it treated?

Catsey Veteran

26-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

I'm sorry to hear that Billy has a problem with his liver Gaina. I don't have any knowledge of liver problems. Maybe the blood test results will give an indication as to what the cause is. I do hope that whatever it is, it is treatable.

Catsey Junior

26-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I'm sorry to hear that Billy has a problem with his liver Gaina. I don't have any knowledge of liver problems. Maybe the blood test results will give an indication as to what the cause is. I do hope that whatever it is, it is treatable.
(((Thanks Angie)))).

Catsey Junior

27-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

Hello All

The basic blood work is back and his kidney function is within normal range. We discussed some of the 'homework' I did yesterday and she confirmed what I suspected - that if he had any of the things I was worried about then he'd be feeling ill and refusing to eat. Well, I can say that's definitely not the case - he's still eating for NATO!

The results for more complex tests will be back on Monday so she's going to ring me with those, and he could well need to have his thyroid medication adjusted.

I asked more about the 'abnormal tissues' on the liver ultrasound and she says this is very possibly a simple matter of age (our best guess at his age is based on the fact he was about a year old when he waltzed into our lives and he's been with us 13 years, which would make him about 14).

My vet did a lot to put my mind more at ease so I'm feeling way less stressed than I was yesterday. As for 'Himself'? Couldn't give a stuff - he's my usual argumentative, eating, sleeping fluff ball and probably wondering what the knot in my brow is all about.

I'll add more when I get the results on Monday.

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #8

I am glad that you've been able to have a good talk with Billy's vet. It sounds as if Billy is acting normally and although it is hard not to worry, perhaps it's time to let that go and enjoy your furry friend.

Fingers crossed for the further blood test results.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #9

Big hugs from us x

Catsey Junior

28-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #10

Thank you Angie and Velvet ((HUG)).

I tend to over-think and over-worry about things that are important to me - I prepare for the worst so that at best I won't be too shocked but I may get a nice surprise too!

Billy is still in good 'fettle' (he has 'marked' that spare room a few more times, but it's ALWAYS after he comes back from the vet. We just make sure the door is shut).

As soon as I know more about the blood work on Monday I'll update xx