Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby
Fair Mile is Male
29-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

My dilemma

I wonder if anyone could help me with my dilemma. My 19 year old cat is sick she was at deaths door 3 / 4 days ago and I took her to the vet and to be honest thought it was the end. She has thyroid problem for the last 3 years but this is under control with tablets. Her teeth are bad but we decided 2 /3 years ago a general anaesthetic would be too risky at her age. A week or so ago she stopped eating was very listless and unsteady on her feet. Took her to the vet who gave pain killers and anti inflamatorries. She perked up a little and now can eat but it’s very sporadic and small quantities and when I put her in the garden she walks to a corner and sits in one spot. She has ups too (she patrolled one day for 5 mins sniffing where the other cats have been) but mostly downs and I cannot get her to eat at all today. The next step now is for her to go under general anaesthetic and have the dental work done. For me without this she will die anyway and if she has the op may well not survive the anaesthetic and the ordeal. I am willing to go through this but the dilemma is this? Is she generally coming to the end and the ops will be an unnecessary further ordeal and it may be better to let nature take its course in her own home? Or is it the teeth and she may get another 6 to 18 months of a level of quality of life? I don’t want her to suffer she is a much loved pet. So a lot to think about I wonder has anyone else had a similar situation with their pet? Any thoughts advice much appreciated.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
29-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Re: My dilemma

Personally if she is still going to have the under lying health problems and really quite poor quality of life I would not have the dental work done and would consider having her pts. If her general health was good then I'd say otherwise. I hope this helps, it's a really hard decision and one I have made twice before, I wouldn't prolong any further suffering she will likely have.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Better a day too soon than a day too late. If she doesn't have good quality of life now and it doesn't look as if it's going to improve, I think I'd make the sad decision for her to be PTS ... only you, who know your cat best, can make that decision, and it's never never easy. The last gift of love you'll give her: freedom from pain. Do let us know what you decide, bless you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

So sorry to hear this, the thing is bad dental hygene can lead to kidney problems etc as can her thyroid issues. All of these things both together and seperate can cause inapatence. Has she had a blood test recently? That would give you a better indication as to whats all going on with her and may help you make your decision.
When you say "let nature take its course" do you mean that you hope for her to die peacefully at home unaided? Sorry if this sounds blunt but they very very rarely die peacefully in their sleep, better to have a vet visit and have her pts in all honesty.
Its very hard for any one to help you decide as we dont know her and cannt see her for ourselves and we are not vets, but from your description I think I'd be airing on the side of letting her go with dignity intact.
She is your cat and you must act with her beast interests at heart, I am sure you will do whats best for her. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

I have to say that I agree with the posts above. The most important thing for any pet IMO is their quality of life. A dental op at her age and with her other health issues is problematic - do you feel that you can discuss this with your vet? They may advise a pre-op blood scan to see whether your cat is actually fit for a GA. Perhaps that's the way to go and make your decision after you know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
29-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Dear me what a very hard decision to make. I really feel for you. I have nothing more to add to the other supportive comments already made except we are here for you no matter what xxx

Cats owned: Tabby
Fair Mile is Male
29-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #7

Thank you for your kind comments. It’s the UK bank holiday tomorrow and my only option is the emergency vet and I think that would be to put her to sleep. I will contact the vet’s first thing Tuesday. I don’t think she is suffering she is now alert and sitting in the garden but eating and drinking nothing but she had a little bit first thing. I feel it’s a little early to have her put to sleep and I am praying time is on her (and my) side to get a vet to look at her. But I will try my very very best to chart the right course for her because she has been a loving companion for all those years.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
29-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

Maybe when you bring her in you can talk about her comfort level. If there are meds that can make her comfortable at home then I would give that a try and then watch for signs of the pain meds/etc. not working anymore and then put her to sleep if she can't be kept comfortable at home. Sorry you are having to make this decision. Best wishes.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
30-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #9

What a heartbreaking situation for you. I hope that your visit to the vet will help you to come to an informed decision about that is best for your cat. Please let us know how things go - I do not envy what you are going through. Take care x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #10

Hi Peter, just wondered how Ruby got on at the vets. I got your pm about the dental etc. Please tell me that she is ok.