Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
05-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #31

Re: Tom update

oh poor tom, and you! at least he ate and drank a bit tonight. has the vet tried him on anti sickness tablets? when mondo was ill the vet gave us a few days worth, im not sure if they can be used long term, they may be metabolised through the kidneys i cant remember.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #32

Yes Lynz the vet mentioned anti sickness drugs but when she checked she decided they would be too risky with his kidney failure.
I really felt he's given up today, we have been so down, you feel so hopeless when they won't/can't eat.

Catsey Veteran

05-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #33

oh i really feel for you and tom, i only went through a week of the heartache. hopefully it doesnt sound like hes ready to give up yet if he was enjoying some food and milk tonight

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #34

How long has he been on the felimazole since his appetite has gone down, I'm pretty sure the side effects of using it can include loss of appetite and as the dose increases the effect will be stronger. It may be worth talkng to you vet and trying another medication- like vidalta or I think there is another one but can't remember the name.

It can also cause anaemia and this would make him feel weak and off colour- another blood test would show if that is a problem.

I think I had to change one of mine over to vidalta due to the side effects but can't really remember- I've had so many hyperthyroid cats I can no longer remember who reacted to what.

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #35

Thanks for the info Farthing, i will look into it.
He has been on a higher dose of Felimazole for approx a month before his appetite went down. As you know hyperthyroidism causes a ravenous appetite and maybe now his thyroid is under control that has gone.
I realy think he won't be around much longer, it's a nightmare actualy.
After eating a good meal yesterday teatime, he had quite an unsettled night, crying several times. His cry doesn't sound particularly like he's in pain, i think maybe he's confused. I got up with him several times and fed him quite a large meal of chicken at 4.00 am.
Today he hasn't eaten anything so far and i have been unable to medicate him. He has had several drinks of cat milk and water. He has been sleeping in the garden appearing quite comfortable but did have one short episode of crying and just standing looking at the garage door.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #36

Has he had his blood pressure checked, this can cause crying a vagueness, how's his eyesight?
I hope he has time yet, but it is a real juggling act sometimes- Spice had hyperthyroidism, kidney failure and high blood pressure. She was on felimazole, istin, benazacare, ipakitine and rubenal, as well as monthly anabolic steriods and vitamins monthly. She didn't like the renal food and had bad teeth ( she received 2 week antibiotic injections for this) so we blended hi-life petite pate with cat milk and ipakitine, she did very well on this.
It may well be worth asking about anabolic steroid injections as this will also stimulate appetite.
Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #37

Poor Tom - Merlin used to cry sometimes, but could always be comforted with a cuddle and gentle words.

You have to do what you think is best for Tom and for you too. It is a very distressing time and I do sympathise.

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #38

oh im sorry to hear hes had another bad day

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #39

The vet more or less said, if the antibiotic injection didn't help then we may have to think about quality of life etc.
Thank you for the support everyone.
Not sure about his blood pressure farthing, no one has mentioned it before.
I think i will leave the thyroid tablets out this weekend and see what happens. I don't think we've much to lose. He is still outside at the moment and hasn't eaten so far.
He realy likes to be outdoors weather permitting and i'm sure he is semi nocturnal,maybe due to circumstances in his early years