Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
12-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #1

Anybody know much about hedgehogs?

It has been a while since I have been on here, as we moved house about 6 weeks ago and it has been hectic! Our new house was empty and on the market for a year, and the garden was completely overgrown. We have cut it all back apart from some old flowerbeds at the back of the garden that are overgrown with all sorts! The animals have all settled in really well .... and have had a strange obsession with the back of the garden. It was by pure chance that we discovered that we have a resident Hedgehog (now named Henry), it was late at night and Poppy was refusing to get out of the flowerbed when we discovered our resident! It is the biggest hedgehog I have ever seen. I now know to keep Poppy away from that part of the garden and the novelty seems to have worn off for all of the animals. The thing is ... I know very little about hedgehogs and I am assuming that by having one (just the one that we know of!) will do no harm. Does anybody know of any reason to relocate our resident? Another concern that I have is that I had plans to tidy up the flowerbeds, but now I do not want to disturb or upset Henry. It is completely overgrown with weeds and I would like to tidy it up and put new plants in, would anybody know of any plants that I could put there that arent weeds and that are hedgehog friendly? I know I sound daft, but I think with some thought and research on my part, we could all live in harmony!! I have tried to take pictures of Henry - but he only comes out at night and he appears to be camera shy! I will keep trying. Any advice will be appreciated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #2

Re: Anybody know much about hedgehogs?

How wonderful! I love hedgehogs. I did a quick Google and found this which seems to be just what you need!

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/garden.htm

I hope you can provide Henry with a good undisturbed area for hibernating!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
13-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Manyana I have been fostering hogs for the past 15 years.

You are indeed priviledged to have a hog in your garden as they are in serious decline. Fantastic for the garden too, but you must remember to not use any pesticides or slug pellets, even the 'animal friendly' pellets.

Your hog may well be hiding up in the last part of your garden that is untouched, the flowerbed. Hedgehogs are hedgerow animals so any hedge, preferably deciduous so that the leaves can be used for hibernating and a little safe corner, is welcome shelter and offers some protection from predation. You can also encourage and help hogs by making sure there is always a bowl of fresh water in the garden, they love peanuts (but so do their predators badgers and foxes so don't put these out if you think they will attract these), cat food (jelly or white meat, gravy or beef gives them diarrhoea), dry biscuits (NO fish and no milk) will be gladly eaten by hogs, as will live mealworms. They also eat young amphibians, worms, and other crawlies.

You can also help your hog by putting a nesting/hibernaculum in a shaded and sheltered corner of the garden with the entrance facing south. You can get these at garden centres but will probably find them cheaper on the net. Even better hedgehogs like log piles with suitably placed leaves to hibernate in. Please do watch out for them tho' as they have no sense to get out of the way from danger and are very prone to injuries from any garden implement!! And it goes without saying, build bonfires on the day..

And check out angieh's link, it gives some good advice!

All the best with your healthy hedgehog, long may he prosper!
And if you have any further questions at all about him at any stage or any health worries (eg: hedgehogs are susceptable to 'rattling' with lung worm, these show up in green tinged runny faeces and are fatal if not treated) just PM me!

Catsey Senior

15-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #4

Thank you both so much for your very useful advice and the brilliant link. I really appreciate it and will keep you updated on how things are going. I feel bad because (I assume) this Hedgeghog has been living in the garden quite happily in peace until we arrived. So will do all I can to make sure it isn't bothered too much and is looked after!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

i do wish you all the best - hedgehogs are special and very useful animals to have in your garden. Wish I had one!

Catsey Senior

15-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Thank you! I do feel privillaged.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #7

Any chance of pics, or is he too shy/nocturnal?

Catsey Senior

15-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #8

I will try to get one early in the morning!! He is shy

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Shy is a good sign of a healthy hog
You'll prob' have to get up before daybreak to get a piccie!