Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #11

Re: Animal Abuse Awareness Day

Roses are symbolic for me because I associate Beauty with them, I know we never abused Beauty but I believe she didn't have an easy life before we got her and abused animals don't have it easy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #12

It is a nice idea but I really don't think people want to know about animal abuse that goes on- from intensive farming to more individual abuse.
We had a rabbit that was totally mental damaged because she had been burned with cigarettes ( god knows what else she went through) and some goats who were sexually abused- and people really don't want to hear it- they do want to hear about animals being rescued but not always about what kind of abuse!
It would be much more useful if people donated towards an animal rescue near them, so many are closing because of the cost of living and they take in so many animals- any donation would be a great help.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
08-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
It is a nice idea but I really don't think people want to know about animal abuse that goes on- from intensive farming to more individual abuse.
We had a rabbit that was totally mental damaged because she had been burned with cigarettes ( god knows what else she went through) and some goats who were sexually abused- and people really don't want to hear it- they do want to hear about animals being rescued but not always about what kind of abuse!
It would be much more useful if people donated towards an animal rescue near them, so many are closing because of the cost of living and they take in so many animals- any donation would be a great help.
I think you may be missing the point here a little farthing; whether or not it upsets people to know or not is pretty much irrelevant here, in fact we are such a selfish species who care so much about ourselves that shock tactics are sometimes the only thing that will make us sit up and take notice. It's a bit like the justice system here (or lack of it), too much emphasis is put on protecting the perpetrator and not the victim.

Animal rescue charities are becoming dangerously overcrowded due to many reasons yes, but ignorance and lack of knowledge is very often at the top of the pyramid along with lack of finance. Throwing money at a charity is far more effective and put to it's best use when the root of the problem is tackled and prioritised, yes, we can all help but we need to remember that prevention is far better than any 'cure' and education of the next generation, and this, is key.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #14

I think being one of those who sees animal abuse first hand I have a pretty good idea as to what goes on, I can guarantee a few flowers in a window sil will not educate people or make them ask questions- we still have battery hens and animal testing for eyeshadow, so perhaps it would better going into schools and teaching children about abuse or making sure we buy ethically. Yes all rescues are full especially now, and the price of a bunch of flowers is better spent helping a rescue than a act that most people will have no idea what it means. I've found that people stand up and listen much more if the are confronted with an animal that has been abused and been saved than looking a something in a window.
Sorry rcr, I don't mean to demean what you are trying to do, but I feel that only people in the know or want to find out about it on the first place will pay any attention to things like this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
09-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #15

Something is better than nothing though.