Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #11

Re: What do members think about dog food?

Well, as I've said in my thread, Ranger has now been changed over from Bakers to Purina Beta large breed puppy kibble. He's eating it well, and seems to like it a lot better than the teeny wee Bakers bits. However, having done some research online, a lot of people don't like Beta either :/, so I'm unsure as to whether this is a good replacement for him or not. But in the interest of his gut and not upsetting it, he'll remain on that for a few months at least and then consider changing it. But tbh, if he's doing well on it, and likes it, then I may leave him on it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #12

Mine are on JW, they have some natures menu mixed in with it....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
31-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #13

Mine have Burns kibble and a tin of Butchers for breakfast and then are fed a BARF diet for dinner. Usually raw chicken wings and raw mince meat with raw veg and fruit. I like them to eat offal once a week but they won't eat it raw (can't say I blame them!) so I cook kidney, liver and heart with pasta, rice and veg, on Sunday they have a full roast dinner! I have to say that raw feeding is the best diet I have ever given my dogs, less waste, firm poo that doesn't smell as much, great for teeth too and they just love it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #14

I don't think I could do a full BARF diet, but I'm looking into giving him some raw chicken wings etc. Don't know if it's a good idea with a puppy or not.

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #15

This is the info I have about Bakers and why I would never feed it to my dogs. It has been linked with hyperactivity, skin problems, stomach problems, etc. Dogs don't care or need their food to be highly coloured, this is a marketing ploy for owners.

These are the colours and additives in Bakers
E320 - has been found to be tumour-producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma

E321 - banned for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being ...used in infant foods. So bad McDonalds have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.

E310 - Banned from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia

E172 - Banned in Germany

E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Norway.

E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them

E110 - Sunset Yellow has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals

E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.

E171 - Banned in Germany

E153 - Banned as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #16

Makes you wonder what our food regulatory bodies do for a living? Thanks for that info Kim.

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I don't think I could do a full BARF diet, but I'm looking into giving him some raw chicken wings etc. Don't know if it's a good idea with a puppy or not.
I don't feed full BARF either Alex. The chicken wings sound like a good start, I would maybe crush them a little first. There is loads of info on the Internet and some good books on the subject too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #18

Harvey gets Wafcol salmon & potato soaked with some Butchers tinned wet food twice a day

Katie is on a wet renal food. She hates dry food soaked or otherwise. I add a bit of the Butchers wet food into her KD to encourage her to eat

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Makes you wonder what our food regulatory bodies do for a living? Thanks for that info Kim.
Absolutely!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #20

Just re-read this thread.

Have to diagree about picky eaters and adding food to kibble.

If you have never had a fussy eater, you are lucky

There is the saying - fussy eaters are not born fussy, they are made that way, which i think is a bit of a old wives tale. People will tell you that competition will make a dog eat, that is not fact either, you can have half a dozen dogs that sweep the floor off crumbs and one that will walk and leave ,their food. It can be frustrating and in some cases worrying when you have such a dog.

Some dogs like Harvey will eat anything and everything put in front of them and more - he even hoovers the floor clean for me Feeders like that are just brilliant

They are all different - individuals and as such we love them as they are, frustrations, worry and all