Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggy
ferdy is Male
23-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

F.i.p

Hi
Just wondered if anybody has had a cat that got feline infectious peritonitis, I have had 2 sister cats from birth; they were 13 years old this year.

In February I notice one morning that Jackie’s stomach was bigger, over the next 2 day it seemed to increase in size, I took her to the vets, and they did some tests on her and informed me that she had F.I.P.

I had never heard of this, I asked the vet was it curable, he said no it will only get worse and it’s doubtful she will live another 2 months, he also said there was no preventive vaccine available to stop cats getting this complaint.

In the next breath he said my other cat would also have F.I.P and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

After about 4 week Jackie could hardly get about, and her sight seemed affected, so I took her again, he said she was also going blind, it sometimes occurs with this complaint, he suggested it was better for her if I had her put to sleep, so looking at her and knowing that her condition was getting worse all the time I had her put to sleep.

My other cat Prudence, never stopped meowing for a month, she missed her of course so did I, but today Prudence is fit and well out in the garden now asleep under the shrubbery (where she keeps adding to the flea population as quick as I am getting rid of them).
Has anyone out there had a cat with F.I.P, with other cats in the house, that never got it, at first when I came in I was watching every move she made it was on my mind, now I think vets aren’t always right, she looks so content.

Help

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
23-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Re: F.i.p

We lost a pregnant rescue cat and 3 of her kittens to FIP, she had mixed with the Clan cats and we have no others die from this terrible disease but do have Gems legacy her only surviving kitten Baby gorgeous who is a Corona carrier but is wonderful and is now 3 years old

We had ours tested for the Corona virus and only Baby G showed the high titre count

So sorry for your loss it is a horrible disease

Cats owned: moggy
ferdy is Male
25-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply, the vetinary service in my area could be a lot better, all he could say was Prudence was forced to get it.

I saw a past neighbour of mine yesterday him and his wife had 4 cats, he said one of thiers devoped this virus, and the vet was telling him the same, he said that was 3 years ago, and its not affected the others, so thats made me feel better about mine. As she is so content now sitting in the garden chasing butterflies.

thanks again for your input.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #4

So sorry for your loss

Am Pleased to read your other cat is ok xx