Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Russian Blue and Tabby
05-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #11

Re: Could it be renal failure?

Hi, another little update on Henry.

I had the result of his blood tests today and he is suffering from Hyperthyroidism. No problems with his kidneys or liver though so thats a releif.

I am off up to the vets in a minute to go and get his medication so hopefully that will help him.

The vet did however mention that his red blood cell count was down and this could be an indication of leaukemia. She also said that it could just be to do with his old age or this could just be normal to him. They will keep an eye on it!! I personally don't think this is the case as he doesn't seem at all ill in himself but I suppose I will have it in the back of my mind now

Anyway, Elaine, yes it was the same vet and she couldn;t even remember having that conversation with me a couple of weeks ago!! I've got to make him another appointment when I call in now so I'm going to ask for it not to be her!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #12

Fingers crossed this is good news for Henry. I hope he starts to improve with his medication.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #13

Glad to hear that his kidneys are not affected, so often these things go hand in hand. The thyroid issue itself is caused by a tumour so could that not account for the red blood cell count being on the low side?
One thing I always found to be of great benefit was to ask for copies of the blood tests. That way I could compare them to see how well my old fella was doing. Maybe its just me, but I like to know all the ins and outs of everything
One last thing, YOU are Henry's BEST advocate, you know him better than any one and will pick up on the slightest changes to his wellbeing, behaviour and demenour. Trust your instinct as to how well your cat feels.
It may take a wee while to get the meds right but I am sure he will be stable in no time. xxx

05-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #14

Well I have fed him steak tonight to try and help his anaemia!! He very much enjoyed it!! He also took his first pill without any drama so hopefully it will be happy days from here on in

Catsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #15

Did the vet give Henry anything for the anaemia?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #16

I'm glad to hear you have diagnosed what is going on with Henry. I would recommend you have his kidney parameters checked once his thyroid levels are normal. Cats often become anaemic just because of long term illness, again it would be worth getting them rechecked once his levels ate normal and you can then work from there.

05-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #17

No the vet didn't say anything regarding treating the anaemia just said that they would keep an eye on it.

I asked if I could supplement his diet and she said that I could with iron rich foods, hence the steak tonight! My friend has also suggested tonight that I feed him some liver so I might give that a go.

He is being tested again a week on Saturday so they are keeping a close check on him.

He seems a little 'off' tonight after his medication but I was told this was usual.

Any advice on the anaemia side of things?

Catsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #18

I used to supplement my old fella with Pet Tinic, which isnt available in the UK, I used to buy it online via ebay. It is a vit B supplement with trace iron.
UK vets normally give Vit B12 injection or tablets.
I would assume that as the vet hasnt given anything, the anaemia cannt be that bad.
No harm in giving B vit supplements as they are water soluble and cannt be overdosed.
Always discuss it with you vet though. Its important that you are all on the same page.

07-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #19

Well he seems to be improving already!! How long should it be before I see an improvement.

I thought he was ok in himself but he certainly already seems alot brighter and alot less aggressive.

I had put his aggression down to him just being a cantankerous old sod!!

x

Cats owned: D.S.H
07-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #20

Hi like yourself i had other people feeding my cats and again like yours they do not wear collars. So i made up some posters with my pics of my cats saying please do not feed me as i am on a prescription diet and other food may make me rather ill thankyou! As the others have said getting bloods done may seem like a bit of a slap to your bank balance but it could also cost you alot more if you leave it any longer , as with a prescription diet and the right meds i think your lovely cat could start to feel better and also give you peace of mind too!