Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
14-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

One kitten still not suckling mum

Hey all,

Just a quick update......Abi is doing really well as a mother now and her instincts seem to have really kicked in, which is fantastic.

However, one of the kittens still isn't feeding well - not from mum or even by me handfeeding. The other one is doing really, really well - suckling from mum and drinking loads!

We all went to the vets yesterday for a check up. Abi was given a painkiller following her ceasarian and the poorly kitten was given sub-q fluids. The vet said that he may not make the night as he was quite dehydrated and seemed to have given up...........but he has made the night!!! Yippee!!!!! He has drank more overnight than ever before and has weed and pood, so it's looking much better today.

I still can't get him to feed from mum yet, but he will now suckle a bit on the teat of the bottle and eat a small amount at a time.

Fingers crossed for him.

xx
(how can I post a pic on here of mum and babies?)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #2

Re: One kitten still not suckling mum

Thanks for the update.
Sounds like the little one has been struggling. If he's very dehydrated would the vet give you a couple of syringes & some saline so you could give him some S/C fluids if nec. Or if he's not too bad, what about some lectade rehydration fluid orally via syringe or bottle just to build him up a bit. I've seen very young poorly pups on deaths door when dehydrated - yet they seem to spring back to life with lectade. (plenty of!)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #3

Fingers crossed here for the little one Charlie, I hope he picks up very soon.....

This link will explain how to post your pics onto Catsey .....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
14-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #4

It will be great to see pics x

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Thanks for the update.
Sounds like the little one has been struggling. If he's very dehydrated would the vet give you a couple of syringes & some saline so you could give him some S/C fluids if nec. Or if he's not too bad, what about some lectade rehydration fluid orally via syringe or bottle just to build him up a bit. I've seen very young poorly pups on deaths door when dehydrated - yet they seem to spring back to life with lectade. (plenty of!)
Hi - what is lectade and where do I get it?? I did read somewhere about a glucose solution that may help bring on appetite and build him up. Is it the same kind of thing?

He's not looking too good again now and has had an upset tummy. We're going back to the vets in an hour or so for another check up. I'll ask if I can have some sub-q fluids to administer at home.

thanks again guys.
xxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #6

Lectate is a rehydration fluid, that will give him fluids & also build up his strength. You'd need to get it from the vet.

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #7

I'm afraid to say that the little one didn't make it. He seemed to have a really rapid decline. I rushed him to the vets as soon as I realised he had taken a turn for the worst, but unfortunately he died in the car on the way there. I'm having him cremated.
I feel totally, totally gutted. I know that it's nature's way and there was probably something underlying wrong with him - but I can't really think about it logically. I tried so hard to save him and do the best for him and I'm so upset that I haven't been able to. Poor little man.

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #8

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #9

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
14-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
Very sweet-i had no idea they were siamese kittens.
So very sorry for the loss of the lil one.