Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
14-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #1

Cat getting close to going back to the Pound!

Alright, the cat that loves water...it is getting old....-VERY- FAST. I have done almost everything and nothing is working. I rent this house and he is doing a pretty good amount of damage to this place. So, I have resorted to punishing him. Good slaps on the rear and putting him in "time out" for about 15 mins. But here is the thing, after that....he "tinkles" on something. First it was the sofa and now it is a hand made Quilt. I hardly think it is a tract infection, because the two times it has happened were very far apart. Nearly a month and a half. Dose anyone have any new ideas before I am forced to send him back to that horrible place. Because I cant take it anymore and I dont want to give him away to someone I know only so he can do it there. Help please!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
14-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #2

Re: Cat getting close to going back to the Pound!

You slap your cat?!??!?! I'm appauled to hear this and think that he may be happier in a new home. I suggest you take him back to the rescue centre. Poor cat.

I know that you guys do things differently in the USA, but a cat should never be "punished" you will only make him fearful of people.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #3

Have to say I agree with Charlie here. To "punnish" a cat in this way will only result in the cat becoming extremely stressed. No wonder he has started to wee on your sofa.
Your hands are for showing kindness and care for the animal and not something that should be feared.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
14-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #4

I rehomed two cats recently Jac and Misty, now they have been with me a number of weeks now, but they are both having troubles with either weeing or pooing here and there, BUT no way on this Earth would I hit them, it would only make them more nervous x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #5

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html
Wizz is a woman I know who is very experienced in animal behaviour issues. She may be able to help, you can contact her through a link on her site.
Please stop smacking her though as she doesnt understand why she is being smacked and never will, all she knows is that you are hurting her not helping her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
14-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #6

"You would not chastise a child and likewise your cat should not be punished under any circumstances. Cats usually spray or toilet in the wrong place due to stress. Cats are very sensitive to any changes in their environment and this can often trigger inappropriate behaviour."

This is from Wizz's website. Good thinking Elaine to link her site in.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
14-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #7

I would also say take the cats back as it doesn't seem fair to punish it. It only causes more stress for you and for him which will make everything worse. Even when Buster peed on the carpet I didn't punish him. As he obviosly didn't mean too.
Perhaps

Sally

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
14-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #8

Hmmm sounds a bit trollish this one. I can't see why anyone in this day and age would resort to hitting an animal!

In case you are not a troll...

NEVER punish a cat!!!!!

Dogs lick things, children scribble on things and Cats play!

If you didn't research cats well enough before going ahead and getting one, or can't put up with your cat 'playing' then please find a new loving home for him, or find a rescue that has a no destruction policy.

Has he been castrated? If not that may be why he's peeing on things. If you think his behaviour is not usual cat-like, go to a vet as there maybe an underlying problem that needs sorting out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #9

Slapping or hitting cats is completely unacceptable behavior here in the States also!!! This will only increase his stress level and make it less likely he's associating your actions with what he did. Please return that cat to the shelter so he can be rehomed with someone who understands his needs and will not hurt him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
Shadowdh is Male
15-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #10

I'm sorry, I am new here but I have to ask, why dont you punish a child now...??? If my kids do something wrong they do get chastised and do get punished... without chastisement and punishment society would be a much worse place...!! However here I am not sure if the op meant the slap them hard, perhaps a tap on the butt...?? Also I am sure I have read that mother cats chastise their young to teach them... but instead of a smack on the rear would a spray bottle to spray them with work... although this might not be in the case if he loves water...