Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
22-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #1

Neighbour has got a dog..

Well my next door neighbour has just taken on a rescue dog from the local dog shelter. He seems quite shy and very quiet so far.

Since the dog got to his new home yesterday afternoon, Chloe has not gone outside. She is pacing the house with a fluffy tail and being spooked by everything

Misty has taken it all very well and is more curious and sneaks looks at the dog from under the fence, but what should I do about Chloe?

Will she come round in her own time, or how can I make her feel better about this new dog that has appeared.

Up until now they have never seen a dog

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
22-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #2

Re: Neighbour has got a dog..

chloe will get used to her new neighbour, she wont be going into their garden for any visits, but she might sit on the fence just to tease the dog. but she will settle down, my 2 live with a dog and it took reggie a couple of days to become pals with ben, it took ronnie a bout 2 weeks, now they all live happily ever after, (my dog thinks hes a cat shhh dont tell him u know)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #3

Leave her alone Donna, dont push her, nor try to encourage her, let her deal with the new dog in her own time, Im sure she will be fine.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #4

Thanks both. Was thinking she will realise the dog is not coming into the house soon enough!! Although she has now left me a little smelly present in the bathroom so is now not using her litter tray

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
22-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Thanks both. Was thinking she will realise the dog is not coming into the house soon enough!! Although she has now left me a little smelly present in the bathroom so is now not using her litter tray
oh shes not happy is she does she do her *biz* in the neighbours garden or near the fence??

Catsey Veteran

23-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #6

No she has always used the litter tray. Occasionally she may have used the border near the neighbours fence but it is too full of plants now to really go there anymore. She seemed bit better last night once the back door was shut up for the night but is very spooked again this morning now it is open again!

Edited: I have just caught her peeing in the bathroom - about 2 meters from her litter tray. Cant understand why she has stopped using it altogether when the litter tray is in the kitchen nearer the back door than the bathroom is

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
23-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #7

Because she daren't use the litter-tray as it is too close to the horrors of the open back door where the enemy is poised to strike. Give her a temporary tray in the bathroom until she gains confidence? You could use one of those disposable roasting-trays for now if you have one at home, or any litter-tray like thing, with cat-litter in it.

Catsey Veteran

23-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #8

Have put a litter tray in the bathroom. It is getting rather annoying that for two years nearly my cats have lived happily in my house and enjoyed my garden. Now next door has moved in and got a dog and they cant even go in their own garden. The back door has been shut all day to calm Chloe down and I am boiling hot. The dog is pacing the fence as he knows there is somehting on the other side and has jumped at the fence to look over.

NOT a good day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #9

Could you ask your neighbours if they mind you squirting a water pistol/washing up liquid bottle squeezy at the dog when he's hounding?
Time will help Chloe; hope you will be able to be patient with her - poor thing, her secure world has been turned upside down and she needs a little time to calm down and adjust.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #10

Donna - poor you (with your dislike of dogs anyway), and poor Chloe. I hope things settle and the dog doesn't try to intimidate your cats too much

I would hate to have a dog move next to me . . . my Mum has a neighbour with a dog, and although the cat's OK with it, it always makes me nervous as it's a big dog and I have visions of it jumping the fence.

Hugs to you all.