Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
11-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #1

do you teach your cat any commands?

both of my cats are 'whistle' trained, i whistle a certain tune and to my older cat it means 'come home for dinner' or just 'time to come home' my dad said we should teach it to him as a kitten so we did, and it really works! he also knows 'sit' for treats!

to the new kitten he knows the 'whistle' means 'come here now!' and he does!

'din dins' means dinners ready & he runs to his bowls 'drink' means im making him a drink and he runs to his bowl!

'whats this?' means im at the 'treat' cupboard and hell come running whether he was alseep or in another room!

also if he jumps onto my shoulder it means 'take me to my food bowl please mum' and i take him to it!

in this months 'your cat mag' its about training your cat, cant wait to buy it and see any tips it has!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #2

Re: do you teach your cat any commands?

I have done a little clicker training with Eva in the past, she comes when I use the "come" comand. If i want her to jump up or down from a chair or some thing I use the "up and down" comands.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
11-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #3

My Boyfriend did some click training with our cat Rags years ago - he was easy to train because he loves being stroked so much it worked well as a quick reward when he got the command right.
He learned to 'sit' on command and 'lay down' he also learned to jump up on my shoulder when he was younger with the command 'up' hes a bit to old for jumping that high now + we had to stop that game because he loved it so much he started leaping at me without being asked... so I'd be walking through the house and Rags would launch himself at me .
They all know the command 'Get down' a must have for when they are on the kitchen worktops.. and 'out' for when they go in the cupboards/ airing cupboard etc.
Bones knows that when we call CHEESE its time for his daily bit of cheese... he doesn't seem to know his medication is in the cheese he always comes running if you call it out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

I taught my childhood cat to sit up and beg for a cheese treat. All of mine understood "No!", but often chose to disregard it...! When Leia is out of sight and I can't find her, she will always mew when I say "Where's Leia?" And she knows "grass", when I pick some for her she comes running.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
11-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #5

Great Thread! Most of our cats know a few commands

- Most of our cats will jump up by saying their name then saying "Up"
- They all know when we say "kitties" in a high pitch voice, that they get to go outside in their special area & then we clap to have them come in...they listen well!
- They also know when its snack time, we call out "snacks" in the same high pitch voice.
We hear a bunch of kitty paws coming towards us!
- All of them know to come when we snap our fingers or whistle.