Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Fish

After getting some lovely new fish for teh tank, my 2.5ft tank is almost empty of fish

The new fish we have put in have brought in an illness and unfortunately contaminated the rest of my lovely fish and killing them. Only have about 7 left in the tank now.

I have contacted the pet shop and they have told me to take a water sample in and if it tests clear then they will refund our money for the fish we got from there but soo many of my other fish have died that we didnt get from there. The unfortunate thing is if we take a water sample in, i know its going to come up as contaminated because there has been a disease brought into the tank by the fish. The rest of mine were perfectly happy happy and thriving until the weekend when the new 1s were introduced.

Im not interested in the refund, im juts soo annoyed that the fish i have introduced to a perfect set up have intoxicated my other fish. We have tried to treat the water to help save them but it didnt work and i cant put the remaining 1s into the big tank incase they carry the illness into that 1 aswell.

Soo annoyed tonight with it all as we have just lost another 2 female endler guppies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Re: Fish

Oh what rotten luck, Pamela, no wonder you're upset, I'd be too; all your lovely fish! And basically not a blessed thing you can really do about it ... (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #3

That is very sad, what disease did they bring in? Diseases such as white spot can come on so quickly and is usually brought on by stress.
Upsetting none the less, so sorry xxx

Catsey Veteran

04-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #4

its not white spot, if it was we could treat it. None of the remaining fish are showing any signs of white spot, The girl who put them in the bags in teh shop was rather rough when she did it, but we didnt say anything at the time. Not sure if that contributed to the stress levels but i think they were already sick though because we started losing them on the monday.

The fighter fish we had was stunning. never seen 1 like him. He was a beautiful pale violet, blue and pink.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Pamela, I didn't realize the Siamese Fighting Fish was one of those you lost; my Mom had one when I was a child; it was an incredibly vivid shade of blue ...I hadn't thought of that in years. What a shame you lost him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
04-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #6

poor wee fishies

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #7

That's such a shame, poor fishes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
05-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #8

Poor wee souls. I used to keep fish too and you do get fond of them. Mine were cold water, when big enough went into outside pond, they were friendly & used to come up to the surface when you went out tomfeed etc. When we moved, a friend took them for his pond where they still are some two years later.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #9

So sorry to hear about your dear fish Pamela.

I don't suppose it would be possible to put any new fish (not from this shop again, and probably best to wait until everything is settled) in an isolation tank for a while, just to be certain that they pick up ok and are healthy after the journey? Probably not, besides, as you say you expect the fish to be in good health when you buy them. Sadly this is not the 1st time I've heard this story.
Pamela the pet shop have no right to force you to take in a water sample, of course it's going to show up as contaminated and then they are off the hook. I would walk into the shop and bring this up, preferably in front of a few potential customers, i.e a weekend, and politely but firmly tell them you have suffered substantial losses by losing your other fish but that you will settle for a refund for selling you sick fish. You know they were sick because you are an experienced fish keeper and your established fish and water was healthy and has been heathy for years with no problems prior to this. Sorry to hear this Pamela, especially your fighter fish, I understand they are quite senstive to change, bless.

Catsey Veteran

05-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #10

thanks truth, thats what i had said to OH that i wanted to do but he didnt want to create a fuss. Never had any probs with my fighters before and as you say they are sensitive to change. Im heading to my mums tomorrow s might pop in there enroute and see them