Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
20-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

Cathedrals in East England.

A few pics of the lovely cities we visited last week. We love medieval history and the cathedrals were every bit as beautiful and interesting as we'd hoped for.
First, Lincoln , taken from the city castle's walls.

Peterborough, final resting place of Kathrine of Aragon, first wife of Henry VIII

NOW Ely, the Ship of the Fens: its beautiful Octagon and lantern, such vivid colours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #2

Re: Cathedrals in East England.

Great photos PP - so glad you enjoyed your trip. The only one of your three I have been to is Lincoln. I had a friend whose parents lived in a house in the cathedral grounds and I stayed there once. It snowed! I have got some atmospheric photos somewhere ....... !

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #3

Great photos PP..... what wonderful architecture!

Glad you enjoyed your trip...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #4

I really enjoyed seeing those, PP! I've heard of them all, especially Ely in the Fens, but it was very nice seeing them! Looks as if you had nice weather too!

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #5

Yes DM we were very fortunate to have good weather, dry and warm, I wore short sleeves for three days!
I loved the architecture too Mags, it was so amazing and humbling to think that all those years ago these buildings were erected by manpower alone, the technology was unknown. It was a labour of love.
Would love to see those pics of Lincoln in the snow, Angie. Must have been a memorable stay in that house in the cathedral quarter, immersed in all that history. We went up on the roof of Lincoln cathedral and were admiring the surrounding views while the bells tolled 12 o'clock

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Off topic sort of, but has anyone read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth"? Basically about building a cathedral...excellent read!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #7

What stunning pictures and a great idea for time away from home. May steal your idea if thats okay with you and spend some time going round castles and cathedrals...........I too adore the architecture and the fact these building went up when all they had was a wynch/man/horse power....no crane in sight I was going to head for Lichfield Cathedral today but didn't due to a "traffic accident"

Catsey Veteran

21-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #8

Sure Kazz! I think you'd really enjoy the buzz of visiting these mighty pieces of history. DM, indeed, it was Ken Follet's book that got me so absorbed with medieval history. Ceri (OH) had always loved that era but I took a while to get interested but POTE was a changing point for me. Marvellous book, rich in detail and a compelling story.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #9

Beautiful pictures PP

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Off topic sort of, but has anyone read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth"? Basically about building a cathedral...excellent read!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Sure Kazz! I think you'd really enjoy the buzz of visiting these mighty pieces of history. DM, indeed, it was Ken Follet's book that got me so absorbed with medieval history. Ceri (OH) had always loved that era but I took a while to get interested but POTE was a changing point for me. Marvellous book, rich in detail and a compelling story.
I have looked at this book several times - and have read reviews, some good, some bad. On your two "recommendations", I shall definitely put it on my "must read" list! I saw a TV programme with Ken Follett on the book (isn't there either a prequel or a sequel?) and all the publicity he did to promote it. He's a real smart chap!