Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
03-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

Most of the blood test results are through!

The 4 hyperthyroid cats were in for bloods tests this week.
Samson has come back hyper again, but for him that is no surprise as he seems difficult to control, anyway he now has to go up to 25mg of vidalta daily.

Smudge is also hyper, but the rest of her bloods are fine, so there is no sign of any kidney damage. She has been having bouts of cystitis lately and been very stressy, but hopefully increasing her meds will help settle that down.

Spice, we still have to wait for her thyroid results, but her kidney results are slightly up, but not as bad as when first diagnosed, and her blood pressure is OK.

Tabatha, appears to be hyper again, but we need to wait for her results, but thankfully her other blood results are fine, as I had a niggle her kidney might be on the way out, because she pees a lot.

So not the best results I could have hoped for but they could have been a whole lot worse when you consider the average is age about 16.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #2

Re: Most of the blood test results are through!

(((HUGS))) for your and your gang, farthing. Not great, but not bad either.

Catsey Veteran

03-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Thanks, its been a stressful week all round.

Corrie the collie had another fit on Wednesday, so we took him in for a blood test as well to check his liver function. Thankfully it was fine, but does imply he has epilepsy. No treatment for now as the fits were a month apart, but we have a diazapam rectitube to us if he goes into long lasting fit.

Levi the lab was in for his booster yesterday, and he was a complete embarrassment. He was too hot and completely hyper, so we basically had to sit on him for his exam and needle.

Deli the dali's liver results are up again,so we are basically just waiting for her to start showing symptoms and call it a day when she gets poorly. We don't regret taking her though as she has had a happy year with us and been a joy to have. We have no real idea how long she has but her result are increasing by quite a lot each month.

Today we collected a young finch from the vet, who had been handed in after being caught in some garden netting. The 'owner' had found it and nursed it overnight, but is away for the weekend, so we took it and will monitor it for releasing. There is quite a bit of feather loss and superficial skin damage, so we want to be sure it can fly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #4

Oh dear, it certainly has been a stressful week! (((hugs))) Hope things will be quieter soon....

Catsey Veteran

07-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #5

Well, I finally got Tabatha's and Spice's T4 results back, they have taken 4 days, compared to the 1 day that Samson and Smudge's- weird.
Anyway, Spice is still within the normal range but Tabatha's is away up again- up to over 300. The vet is worried this is linked to her FIV and it is causing some sort of problem. He is also worried about doing a thyroidectomy if she needs it because she has such a big goitre and because of her FIV. We are going to try her on the highest dose of Vidalta we can give, then if that doesn't work try Felimazole.
Its funny because I am relieved Spice is normal, for her sake and it means the cats have been given the tablets as I was beginning to doubt myself, but I was also thinking if she was a bit high it would explain her kidney perameters being up. Sometimes I think I consider all these things too much.
Does anybody have experience with a cat who has FIV and hyperthyroidism, can the FIV affect the thyroid.

The vet has said he will talk to the companies who supply the meds to see if he can get us a discount.
At the moment we are going through 4 x 2.5mgs of felimazole, 2 x 5mg of felimazole, 2 x 10mg of vidalta and 2 x 15mgs of vidalta a day. spice also gets a 1/4 tablet of istin, Smudge gets metacam and Mustard gets a steroid every other day.
Poor Mike has no idea who gets what anymore.

Catsey Veteran

10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #6

feeling a bit down, as Misty was in for blood tests today, she is in the early stages of renal failure as well. We will send off for a T4 test as well, and will try and get a urine sample to see if she needs to go on fortekor, will also get her blood pressure checked. I feel a bit like all my oldies are starting to go downhill, but I suppose at least we test them regularly and hopefully catch the problems early- Misty last had bloods done in November and her creatine levels were only slightly up then. I just hope she will eat the renal food, must go back and read all the info from Elaine on previous threads now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #7

Awww, sorry to hear about Misty.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
11-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #8

You are doing fantastically well!! I take my hat off to you, you obviously love them so much.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #9

Misty's thyroid tests are through and she isn't hyperthyroid, which is good. I have to try and get a urine sample to test her urea/protein ratio to decide whether she needs to go on fortekor and I've booked her in for a blood pressure check. The vet doesn't think it is really an issue, because it is usually related to something like hyperthyriod, but we decided to check all avenues and then we know where we stand.
Working at the vets, I can sneak a look at the results and when I saw her urea levels were 2012 I nearly fainted- they shouldn't be above something like 13, then noticed the vet had written a bit below, they were only 20.2, he'd put in a 1 instead of a full stop. I haven't had a chance to tell him off yet!