Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #11

Re: Fat Pets, Fat Owners

Well, with all the news about the dangers of fast foods and not enough exercise you'd think that everyone would know. But it's like the "Spay and Neuter" campaigns, the ones who need to heed it aren't the people who read or follow it on TV,,,,,, And people do know better but like fast foods because they taste good and are convenient. And in some poorer areas there are less fresh fruits and vegetables available. So, part education, part inertia, part availability. You're right about the hidden amounts of fats, sugars, etc, in manufactured foods being a factor, it's on the labels but few people read them. It's complex, isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Yes, and some of the labelling is anything but straightforward ......... as I'm finding out!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #13

Also the better quality the food the bigger the price tag.... in many cases the animal fund is the first to take a hit in households!

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatLady
Also the better quality the food the bigger the price tag.... in many cases the animal fund is the first to take a hit in households!
So true! I like to shop at our organic market; stuff is pricier but I know I'm not eating all kinds of additives, colorants, preservatives, etc. And Leia absolutely hates the good-for-her healthy organic cat food!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #15

Have you tried cooking your own for her DM?

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #16

No. MCL, I've read my vet's recipes for home cooked cat food, but Leia is VERY picky! She doesn't eat fish, except very recently decided she will eat tinned cat tuna; doesn't like chicken except the Fancy Feast minced one. And the ones that have rice or a little bit of vegetable in them she manages to eat around those bits! She's 10 and stubborn and set in her ways ....she thinks cat food comes in tins and that is what she wants! She does like dry food, but as she had cystitis once (stress induced, I believe) I keep the dry to about 10 - 20% of her diet.