Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #1

Advice needed for indoor cats

Need some advice, any suggestions greatly appreciated.My two little cats Ice and Echo have to be indoor cats due to Ice's deafness. They sit by the windows or french doors looking out into the outside world for most of the day. If anyone opens the front door they are loitering around and getting braver by the day and i'm scared that they will just bolt outside at any opportunity.My dilemma is if i get them a harness and take them out into the garden will they understand that this is the time they get outside and be glad of it ...or will it make them crave the outside even more and make them even more likely to try and escape out of the front door or any open window????? I would really love to be able to take them outside but not at the expensive of making a rod for my own back!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
09-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

Re: Advice needed for indoor cats

We've had much the same dilemma with Posh, Julie. During the summer I couldn't bear the house all shut up so she used to go outside and we'd watch her. She then started to take liberties and wander further and hide . I said I wouldn't mind putting her on a harness, but that she'd need to be constantly supervised, so come this summer I hop to do so. It's been far easier this winter to keep her in and yes she looks out though the window and I wonder if she pines but then it seems she's ok guess we'll never know whats going on in their little brains.
As long as Echo and Ice get lots of attention, food and playthings their need for exploration can be curbed, I think.
Just my feelings, see what happens and do whats best for your furbabes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #3

I know several people here use harnesses Juli - hope someone comes along soon with more advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Well, of the seven cats I've lived with, five were harness trained, so I''ll pass on some comments and hope they'll be helpful.

First, no, if they're used to a walk outside it won't make them eager to slip out the door. Cats are creatures of routine; they will adjust to going out only with you on the harness. Establish a pattern: mine walked after dinner in the good weather during the week, and after lunch on weekends/holidays. That was before I retired; then it was after lunch every day.

Walk the alpha cat first. Do not, I repeat, NOT try to walk both of them at the same time....it will not work!!!!

Cats don't walk like dogs, they potter along, stop and sniff, maybe lie down a bit. Go at their pace. They do so enjoy getting out and seeing new things and new smells; it's a good bonding experience for you both.

Opinions differ on harnesses, I personally have always used a figure eight adjustable nylon harness.

Are free roaming dogs and/or heavy traffic a problem in your area? Something to consider.

Give it a try; sure both you and the cats will enjoy it; do let us know of your experiences!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #5

Disregard the bit abut dogs/traffic, forgot you said your garden. Females have smaller walking territories anyway; my boys would walk for blocks; the girls were content with the garden or just around my block.

If you do walk on the street, be prepared for funny looks from people when they see you walking a cat! But I met some nice people that way!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
10-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #6

You may want to think about cat proofing your garden. I did mine and in the summer I let them out knowing they can't get out of the garden but still have a play/snooze. Other cats also can't get in.

x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #7

Did think about cat proofing the garden but wouldn't know where to start!!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
11-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #8

I was a bit like that but then called Roz at SecurACat and she talked me through it. I even installed it myself!!!