Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #1

Possible Thyroid and Kidney problems for buster

Hi
Sorry for being away from the computer for so long I have had major computer problem which still need sorting as I am currently on my mums computer.

Anyway onto Buster and Tilly. They have now moved in with me and are enjoying the indoor life.

But soon arfter they moved in I noticed that Buster was always desperately hungry and Tilly was rather thin so I booked Tilly to go to the vet on Friday as I was worried about her possibley having a Thyroid problem. On the day I thought I had better take buster as well as he was so hungry and I thought that he may have a thyroid problem as well as Tilly.

It turns out that Tilly is probably OK as although she has a palpable thyroid she doesn't have any other symptons. Buster on the other hand has all the symptoms of a Hyperthyroid and possibly of a Kidney problem so had a blood test done to check his thyroiud and kidney function out. It has been sent off today and I hope that he is alright.

Thought I had better let you know. Does anyone know if it is better to feed him mopre or leave it as normal.

Looking forward to hearing an advice anyone has.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
06-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #2

Re: Possible Thyroid and Kidney problems for buster

I am not able to help, hopefully someone on here can help.

Give them both ((((((hugs)))))) from me x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #3

Hi Sally, sorry I'm afraid I have no knowledge of this condition either but I wish Buster well ......... (((((hugs)))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #4

Sorry on experience of this at all but sorry Buster is poorly. What did the vet advise?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
06-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about Buster (and Tilly), nothing I can offer in the way of help, just that I hope he will get better soon!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
06-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #6

The vet hasn't advised anything yet I will get the blood results sometime this week then we can see what to do from there.
Thanks for the support
Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #7

Hello,
Found this link for you http://home.freeuk.net/catsglas/Hyperthyroid.htm

Don't know if it will be of any use but I found when my Oscar was diagnosed with CRF I was better able to cope knowing more than less. You sort of get the gist of what questions to ask etc.

With regard to the food if he's hungry, and telling you he's hungry as he seems to be - I personaly would feed him.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #8

Dont know that much about hyperactive thyroids but know a little about CRF. Best to wait till you get the results through first to see what exactly you are dealing with. I made a post some time ago about CRF, I'm sure I had some usefull links on it too where you might get some info about thyroid and kidney issues.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...hlight=Winston

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
06-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #9

Fingers crossed - hyper t normally masks kidney probs though. I would feed him waht he wants till you get the test results back, and fingers crossed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #10

Don't despair!
My then 15, now 16 year old Siamese, Mini, was ill in the spring. The vet checked her for exactly the same as Buster - thyroid and kidney. (By the way, the blood tests were done & completed on the day - much less stressy). It turned out her thyroid function is fine, but she has early kidney insufficiency. However, she's fine. A low protein, renal support diet plus one tablet per day and she's good as new.
Hope you get encouraging news soon.