Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
24-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #1

How do i know if my kitten has got fleas?

My kitten is mainly white, so i thought i would see if he had fleas! Ive combed him several times with a metal flea comb, but can never seem to find anything!

The problem is that my boyfriend and I both have bites on our bodies.

I thought that maybe i had got the flea bites when i went visiting on the weekend (5 cats and two dogs in one house!), but my boyfriend didnt come so why would he have bites?! I also put all my clothes stright in the wash, before going into the house, after visiting because i was suspicious of fleas.

Any suggestions? Should i treat my cat and house? Please help!

Sorry i rambled on soooo much!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #2

Re: How do i know if my kitten has got fleas?

Hi Tanya

The probability is that they are flea bites, and fleas are sneaky things that can come into your house on your shoes and clothing. I dont find the metal flea combs any good, I prefer just to use one of the plain white head lice combs you use on kids, the fleas and blood show up much better. Try standing him on a oiece of white paper or cloth and give him a really good brushing with both a anormal comb and a flea comb if you see little black flecks on the paper them you know he has fleas and needs treatment, hope this helps.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
24-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #3

Thanks for that!

I brushed him again with a different comb, but still didnt come across anything that looked like a flea or egg. But, because we both got bites we took EXTRA precautions.

I put a spot on treatment on the kitten, carpet flea killing powder on the carpet and i also used a spray for furniture and skirting boards etc. I have also washed his bedding, our bedding and the throw that goes over the sofa. The poor kitten had to be locked away (with my boyfriend!), so all the chemicals didnt harm him! I treated every room in the flat. Once all that was complete i then used a carpet shampooer throughout the flat.

I know this seems a bit drastic (because we didnt even see a flea), but we had bites so maybe we had picked up fleas from our families pets and they were living in our flat. Anyway, do you think this will ensure that we get no more bites??

Thanks x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #4

That sounds to me like flea extemination, lol. It doesn't do any harm to do all that anyway, it just makes sure that any little blighters that may be lurking, are no more. I definately think that should do the job, well done.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
27-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #5

All cats get fleas. Prevention is better than cure. I'm allergic to cat fleas and once they are in your house it's a hell of a job getting rid of them entirely.

I give my cat Cyflee tablets, but the drops are good too. Spray your carpets twice a year with a long-lasting (4 months) flea killer that also kills the larvae. Flea eggs can survive in an unused room for a year, and will pop open as soon as there is vibration from movement.