Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
17-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #1

Fleas!!and worming advice...

i decided it was about time i made a seperate thread about this subject(see my "They'r here!" post in general)

ive just came back from the vets-the boys dont have ear mites and ive been given some panacur powder to worm them with-any advice on how to give them this and make sure they eat it all?

so i mentioned fleas-he got out the flea comb and ALOT of flea dirt came off of AJ, a bit less off Raven. he told me that i should treat the house, to which i told him that i had small animals and fish and it would be impossible for me to take them all out the house. he then asked me where id been keeping the boys, and i told him downstairs-he said i should be ok to just treat downstairs. He also told me something which im hoping is rubbish-he said that they will need another 2 or 3 treatments of frontline before the fleas are gone fully, and that i shouldnt let them go upstairs until then surely that cant be right? it just doesnt make sense!! if ive treated them with frontline, then that will kill any adult fleas that bite-if i treat my home(or downstairs anyway) then that will kill adults for upto a week(according to the can) and eggs and larvae for upto 12 months! so why on earth is it going to take 2-3 months for them to be flea free and ok to venture upstairs??

he also told me that my rabbits can catch cat fleas-is that true? i have four indoor bunnies so im quite worried about that. im really stressing out now as i hate the thought of nasties crawling on my babies and in my house, and im so upset at the thought of not being able to bring them upstairs for 3 months please someone tell me hes wrong. id appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Re: Fleas!!and worming advice...

I wonder if the vet realised what a short time the kits had been in the house and that they had been confined to a smallish space.
I'd go with your instincts on this and don't stress.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
18-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #3

Re: Fleas!!and worming advice...

i did tell the vet that i treated them within minutes of being in the house oh well, i can scrap all those questions and just treat the whole house-the boys escaped from their pen last night and had a whale of a time running all over the house(luckily the door was shut on the room where i keep my small animals) their favourite place to sleep now is under our bed they also knew how to get onto the settee and bed a little too good!!so will be giving the place a thorough clean and spray tomorrow!!

i will probably get some treatment for the buns and my guinea pig though as im aware that cat fleas can live on them also my guinea pig is quite old so lives in our bedroom-the kittens are absolutely fascinated by him! the do get scared when he wheeks though!

because theyve been all over the house now, im wondering if flea sprays just do floors/skirting etc or if they get on everything when sprayed? just because they had a great time playing on the TV unit last night and knocking all the remotes everywhere and of course the bookcases, CD unit...you get the idea!! so wondering if i need to directly spray the can onto a certain area for it to work, or if it spreads? sorry if thats a silly question!