Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #1

When you grow up?

As a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you "make it" or did you go totally opposite?

I wanted to work with children or animals. I have been really lucky as I have done both. Most of my life with kids as a private nanny. Traveled, made loads of friends.

Always helped or worked with animals in my spare time.

Then I got a proper job in the bank

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-01-2008, 03:12 AM   #2

Re: When you grow up?

When I was growing up in the 30s and 40s, gender roles were very rigid. At various times I wanted to be an archaeologist, an entomologist or a journalist. My parents, for having been born in the late 19th century were very enlightened; they never told me a woman couldn't do that...let me figure out for myself as I grew up that men went on the expeditions, while women stayed back in the museum cataloguing or filing potsherds, or stuck on what in those days was the Women's Pages of the paper....so I just fell into a job, liked the work, the people, so just stayed. Born too soon. If I were able to go back in time I'd go into library science, with my lifelong love of books. Girls growing up today can do anything...we have come a long way, baby!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Long hair
04-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #3

hummz...When I was little I wanted to be a vet, but it annoyed me so much when my Parents or Grandparents would say "Oh, your Aunt Rhonda use to love animals! Just like you do! your just like her!" I hated that because I wanted my own title I guess lol. So, after a bit I decided I wanted to be a bounty hunter (lol) and then my family had to ruin it and said "Oh! your uncle is a great cop! Your jsut like your uncle" So...ya lol....But as for right now I want to just be a simple R.N. Nothing Fancy, but important...and my Family HATES the fact that I want to "waste" my 3.8 GPA on something like a Nurse. They bring it up ALL the time at get-togethers, but I'm actually attending a minor Nursing school right now ^^

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #4

Since about the age of 10 I was very into art and from about this age knew that I wanted to be a graphic designer. This was as a result of my Dad teaching me how to draw and ingniting a passion for creativity in me. He was a superb commercial artist (now know as a graphic designer), but financial pressures meant he had to take an engineering route rather than his 1st love. He did some super window and theatre designs too.

He always encouraged me to follow my heart, which I did. I studied Graphics at art school and worked as a designer for a good few years before branching out into marketing.

All my Mum (bless her) did was beef about why I wasn't thinking of becoming a secretary and finding a nice husband

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

I wanted to be a vet but didn't put in the work to get the grades. Worked in a pet shop (Saturday job), though from 14-16 which I loved, my mother didn't as I brought all the animals home!! (pretended they were sick and needed homes).
I then worked in a hospital as a Laboratory Assistant, then research assistant, which I thought I wanted to do also but OH encouraged me to take my Counselling Diploma and my career took a dramatic turn. I went on to work in schools as a behavioural therapist and childrens homes, as a Child care officer for Social services.
I still work with children and their families but in trying to get them to stay together and am studying a Psychology Degree so that I can further my career. (whats that don't work with animals or children??)
Would love to have a boarding cattery too

It's very interresting to read about everyones lives though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks
hummz...When I was little I wanted to be a vet, but it annoyed me so much when my Parents or Grandparents would say "Oh, your Aunt Rhonda use to love animals! Just like you do! your just like her!" I hated that because I wanted my own title I guess lol. So, after a bit I decided I wanted to be a bounty hunter (lol) and then my family had to ruin it and said "Oh! your uncle is a great cop! Your jsut like your uncle" So...ya lol....But as for right now I want to just be a simple R.N. Nothing Fancy, but important...and my Family HATES the fact that I want to "waste" my 3.8 GPA on something like a Nurse. They bring it up ALL the time at get-togethers, but I'm actually attending a minor Nursing school right now ^^
Go for your nursing degree, Socks! It's an important and rewarding job and you will make a big difference in peoples lives. My mom was a RN.

This is a great thread!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

I only ever wanted to be a midwife! I did a year and a half of my nurse training then fell ill. I missed 3 moths of the course so was asked to leave and start again! I was preparing to go back into training when I had my accident which damaged my back and made it impossible to do so .

However a very lovely friend of mine let me be at the birth of her baby, which was a wonderful experience for me, if hitting home how much I lost out on. Ah well, que sera sera!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I only ever wanted to be a midwife! I did a year and a half of my nurse training then fell ill. I missed 3 moths of the course so was asked to leave and start again! I was preparing to go back into training when I had my accident which damaged my back and made it impossible to do so .

However a very lovely friend of mine let me be at the birth of her baby, which was a wonderful experience for me, if hitting home how much I lost out on. Ah well, que sera sera!

Couldn't you go into this is some other way then?? maybe as an aromatherapist there at the birth???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #9

I always wanted to work with dogs and when I left school I applied to work for Guide Dogs. I was put on the waiting list until I reached the minimum age to work for G'D's. (18yrs)So I worked in a boarding kennels until I was 18 & then I went to work for Guide Dogs, been there ever since! & I love it (sometimes )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #10

When I was very young I wanted to be a police officer, but as I stayed a "shortie" that was never going to happen (at the time there was a minimum height requirement)

At one point I thought I'd like to be a forensic scientist (influenced by a TV programme) but that was a very fleeting thought and in any case I was doing the wrong A levels for that.

But there was one thing I was good at that my older siblings couldn't do and so this became very special just to me. All my working life I've taught languages in secondary schools French, Spanish and Latin. I've also been a Head of Year (a bit like being a police officer at times!) I retire later this year and although I'm ready for retirement, I feel it will be a bit of a wrench.