Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
03-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #1

New Bunny Still Poorly

Had the tests back from the vets today. Emma's new baby bunny is still very ill. He has Coccidiosis.

"Rabbits with coccidiosis become dirty. There is a pasting of the anal area with feces, the belly becomes enlarged and there seems to be a tendency for the effected animal to crave water. Stunting and occasional death will occur particularly in the young if the disease isn't checked".

I am taking him back to the vets this evening and have spoken to Pets at Home who will honour any further bills.

I hope the bunny is ok. The vet wants to weigh him again as they can lose weight very quickly and die. She is also going to give me some more stronger/different medicines.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #2

Re: New Bunny Still Poorly

Sorry to hear about the bunny Donna.....I hope the vet can do something for him...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #3

Best of luck with the bunny, hope all goes well at the vets x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #4

Poor little thing, hope all goes well at the vets Donna........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
03-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #5

Poor little mite Wishing him well Donna. I presume with medicine and TLC he WILL get better??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Poor little mite Wishing him well Donna. I presume with medicine and TLC he WILL get better??
was wondering if it wouldn't be better for him to go to bunny heaven and then he wouldn't be in any more pain and your daughter could have a happy pet she could cuddle and enjoy?
Don't know anything about this disease/prognosis etc. Poor thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
03-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #7

Just got back from Vets. Bunny seems to have improved a bit with the medicine and fluids he had last week. Now that we have the exact problem diagnosed she can up the strength of the medicine. She is happy he has improved since last week but he has not put on any weight (lost a little) so we need to keep an eye on his feeding. The vet feels I did well to get him to the vets as soon as I did and she is happy that in time with lots of TLC he will make a full recovery and then be immune from getting this disease again.

He is not in pain now that the disease is under control (bad stomach etc) and it had been diagnosed before it got to his kidneys. He jumps around and runs about so is not dreadfully ill now. We have to take him back in one week for a weigh in and check up! But all looking good.

Catsey Junior

03-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #8

hi donna glad all is looking better give the bunny a big carout from me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #9

Hi Donna, sorry I didnt reply to this thread sooner, only just seen it.

i hope your poor bunny gets better soon. At elast your vets are bothering with it, mine seem to have the attitude sometiems that it's only a bunny. When both of my tow we lost (one few motnhs ago one almost 2 years ago) died they never did any tests, just gave us powdered food to mix with water and that was it, apart from first one who ahd antibiotics too.

Hope youre bunny continuce ti improve, ahve you tried that powdered food for him? i froget what it's called, but it relatively cheap from the vets, you mix with water to make a green mush, my bunnies have alle aten it from the bowl, but u can syringue it in. We found with our last poorly bunny she LOVED it mixed with her normal food. Just an idea.

Let us know how he gets on next week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
05-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #10

Glad Bunny is on the mend.

Poor Bunny - hope he gets better soon.