Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Pudding.

We took Pudding in a year ago, she was in a terrible state- skeletal and badly matted. She turned out be hyperthyroid and is now in renal failure. Today she was sick in the morning and picky with her food, she seemed a bit staggery, and then passed a couple of hard poohs. I gave her an enema because I could feel some more in there and she went to th litter tray and passed some more. She was still pretty staggery so we took her into the vet- my concern was her kidneys had deteriorated badly since December. After a thorough check we are still none the wiser- her bloods are not bad- kidneys slightly worse but not dangerous, blood pressure is normal, she's not aneamic and doesn't have an infection, no diabetes and her heart and eyes are fine!
We are starting her on benazacare and hopefully this will help if it is a blood pressure issue but the vet is stumped.

Just wondered if anybody had seen something like this before, or any ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #2

Re: Pudding.

Just a passing thought, nothing more farthing - could she have had a mini stroke? The staggering makes me think of that because Merlin had one but by the time we'd got him to the vet (same morning) he was more or less recovered and the vet could offer no more of a diagnosis.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

I was going to suggest a stroke/fit type problem too.

No idea of symptoms but some kind of poisoning?

I do hope it is something simple

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #4

No ideas here other than the mini-stroke ........

Catsey Veteran

06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #5

looking up info about strokes, it could be a mini one. I doubt if it is poison because she doesn't get outside.
It is a worry but I don't know what else to test, it did seem to be when she was ' stressed', she was wobbly when she needed and did a hard poo, and after a struggled to get her blood tested- she was fine when we first arrived at the vet which makes me thing it is blood pressure related.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #6

I found this interesting. Katie (dog) has renal disease and at times is very poorly. Last week she was very very sick. During one episode- just as i was about to serve dinner~ i had to stand with her, being so sick she gets frightened & sometimes chokes on it, during this episode she was wobbly/swaying on her feet. I haven't seen this symptom before, i concludEd she felt so wretched, she felt a bit dizzy. Even though i was right there with her, i then held onto her to try & soothe

Its a horrible disease for them. When she was at the vets last week he said that Cats cope better with renal disease than dogs. Think he told me that in passing knowing i have cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #7

Is she unstable on her back legs? Usually when they are unsteady/wobbly, especially on their hind legs, it can be an indicator or several things, most of which your vet has ruled out such as anemia, diabetes, hypertension, low potassium, saddle thrombosis, high phosphorus, metabolic acidosis. But something as simple as constipation can cause this too. If she has been suffering with excess tummy acid and constipation then maybe some renitadine, zantac 75mg, may help with both. Here is some further info, I hope it helps.
http://www.felinecrf.org/constipation.htm#treatments

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #8

anks Elaine, I was wondering since yesterday about putting her on zantac, I'm not keen on lactulose, Jimmy wouldn't eat his food with it in and its really sticky when they spit it back out when you've used a syringe. I will try it next if the zantac doesn't help. I haven't noticed her being constipated and my concern yesterday was that she was dehydrated because of her kidney function, thankfully she's not dehydrated. Looking much brighter today, and ate better, she's a picky eater usually.

I woke up this morning with Sooty on my head, Pudding, Loki and Urchin between my legs and Candy was asleep at Mike's side, so she's not struggling to jump up or distressed in anyway.
I'll just keep an eye on her and hope it was a one off!

Catsey Veteran

09-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

Update on Pudding.
She's much better and eating really well, I feed her in the bathroom, seperate from the other because she takes a long time to eat and Donald often pushes her out and eats her food instead, naughty boy.
She has this sussed now and whenever you go to the loo she runs to the door so she can pick at her food a bit more. Jimmy was the same, you never get any privacy in this house!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #10

Good to hear that Pudding's better now. may it continue!