Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

Have you got hoarding tendencies

Just wondered if any of you think you may have hoarding tendencies...............

I am sure I have, but try to fight it and have a clear out every now and again..........any of you?

This question comes about from the TV programme hoarders???????anyone know any extreme hoarders?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
09-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

Re: Have you got hoarding tendencies

I'm not a hoarder but OH and daughter are a bit inclined! Nothing like as serious as the ones featured on the tv I hasten to add.

Just a silly example - OH keeps absolutely all receipts, very useful in the case of electronic items, expensive things, clothes etc. but he automatically holds on to supermarket receipts for a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk! It's not because he really wants to keep them, it's just his brain goes on automatic mode I think and every now and again I go through a whole pile just sitting on his chest of drawers and throw them out. He still has all his university notes from the mid-sixties, paperback books from the days when they were 2/6, broken things, bits of wire and old taps etc. in the garage "because they might come in useful someday!"

Have you ever seen the Michael McIntyre "Man Drawer" sketch? It's about men hoarding old batteries, keys for houses they no longer live in etc. that's what my OH is like! He still has DIY service manuals for cars we no longer own!

As for me, I love a regular clear-out!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

I love that Michael McIntyre sketch - had my OH chuckling too!

I am afraid I cannot throw out a book - hardback or paperback. I thought I had it beat when I came across a forum for book exchange, but you do actually get a book sent to you for each one you send. You can choose a title that appeals to you, so it is good but doesn't help with the book hoarding. Have to say my OH isn't best pleased when it comes to moving house but we've only done that twice in 26 years ........ perhaps that's one reason. I even quite enjoy dusting the books ....... and I know if something's missing.

Quite often I give a file to OH - he's very good at getting rid of stuff that's not needed in the paperwork way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

My father hoarded everything - i hoard too, not as bad as dad but still guilty ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Both G and I are hoarders, he is worse than me though .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
09-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #6

I'm a bit of a hoarder - used to be far worse, and trying to train self out of it now... thing is, a lot of my junk still needs throwing out at parents...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
09-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
I'm not a hoarder but OH and daughter are a bit inclined! Nothing like as serious as the ones featured on the tv I hasten to add.

Just a silly example - OH keeps absolutely all receipts, very useful in the case of electronic items, expensive things, clothes etc. but he automatically holds on to supermarket receipts for a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk! It's not because he really wants to keep them, it's just his brain goes on automatic mode I think and every now and again I go through a whole pile just sitting on his chest of drawers and throw them out. He still has all his university notes from the mid-sixties, paperback books from the days when they were 2/6, broken things, bits of wire and old taps etc. in the garage "because they might come in useful someday!"

Have you ever seen the Michael McIntyre "Man Drawer" sketch? It's about men hoarding old batteries, keys for houses they no longer live in etc. that's what my OH is like! He still has DIY service manuals for cars we no longer own!

As for me, I love a regular clear-out!
Hilarious sketch which I think applies to ALL men!!

I am a horrendous horder I keep everything yet cant find a thing when I need it!!! actually I cleared out my drawers in work today (not been 3 months since I last did it) and OMG the junk in there was unbelievable
I have hundreds of pens at home, I am a kleptomaniac for pens ...then theres carrier bags (cannot throw them away and I blame my mother for that)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
09-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #8

I do tend to hoard but every now and again I do have a clear out voluntarity.