Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

AV Referendum - now I'm confused and not proportionally (I think!)

OK .... it's the Referendum this Thursday May 5th and I've been Googling about what it exactly means. As long as I've had any political understanding, I have supported the campaign to bring about Proportional Representation. But it seems AV MAY not be the same thing ...... I am getting more confused the more I read.

Can anyone help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
03-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Re: AV Referendum - now I'm confused and not proportionally (I think!)

i studied politics at uni angie and i dont understand what its about

Catsey Veteran

03-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #3

Not much chance for me then! What about the public though? Has there been sufficient information that is not given on a party basis???? I think not.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

It's very confusing isn't it angie? I was going to vote yes, but having read up on it further I am going with No! It is unfair, complicated and a complete waste of money. When you look at the fact Australia is trying to get rid of it and that would leave only 2 countries in the world using it, then why on earth would it be a good idea here. I'm sticking with the one person, one vote sytem

Catsey Veteran

03-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

I watched a 30+ year old video of dear old John Cleese on PR and I still believe in that. At that time, all EU countries had PR, according to him. It does seem that countries with AV are more likely to go back to FPTP rather than move on to RP. Just been reading the Electoral Reform Society information and quite apart from bias, I just don't believe what they say .....................

Bit of a sea change - I've just read the ERS leaflet AV FAQ and it is setting my mind at rest.

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/article.php?id=55

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
It's very confusing isn't it angie? I was going to vote yes, but having read up on it further I am going with No! It is unfair, complicated and a complete waste of money. When you look at the fact Australia is trying to get rid of it and that would leave only 2 countries in the world using it, then why on earth would it be a good idea here. I'm sticking with the one person, one vote sytem

Me too. The way I see it, some parties for example the BNP could get more votes with this system. I am quite a novice when it comes to politics, but I don't like the sound of this and am going to vote 'No'.