Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Trinity(DSH) Neo(RagxPer)Lily(Rag)
05-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #1

Kittens 14 weeks old now!

The kittens are 14 weeks old now and have had their injections and it has been more than a week since they have had them so the vet said they would be allowed outside now. Then she turned around and said to me not to let them out untill they have been neutered.

What are your views?

If we should now allow them outside how do we approach it?

We have brought a cat flap and will fit it this week but keep it locked. Trixie has already been out once as she followed sheldon to the car the other day. She soon got scooped up and brought back in.

Any views most appriciated

Thanks Ellen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #2

Re: Kittens 14 weeks old now!

You'll probably just play this by ear and work out what you are going to do. I used to let my babies come outside when I ws there but I didn't let them wander off by themselves until they were neutered or (perhaps more important) chipped.
The trouble (one of the troubles lol) with kittens is that they are so attractive people can't help speaking to them and the second trouble is that they are attracted to anyone who will talk to them, play catch/chase with a piece of grass etc etc. Before they know it they have wandered outside their safety zone, and they are lost - or in trouble, locked in a shed, exploring in the back of a delivery van and heading up the motorway etc etc.
If I were you (which I'm not, and you must make up your own mind, depending on your circumstances/location etc) I would not let them out unsupervised for several months. There's lots of fun to be had indoors!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #3

I would second that. Obviously everyone's location is different and it's also to do with how wiley/smart the cats themselves are - some are just sharper when it comes to the dangers of the big wide world. I would wait until they are at least neutered (personally) as cats can reproduce at quite a young age. I would also suggest a very gradual introduction to their domain.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
05-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #4

Me personally, I would probably keep the flap locked until they are neutered, but take them out into the garden with me for a little while until they are, and then it won't be so scary to be let loose on this big bad world, lol!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #5

I totally agree with DM's advice

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Trinity(DSH) Neo(RagxPer)Lily(Rag)
05-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #6

Thankyou guys all taken in and I think we will do as suggested