Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
29-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #1

Cats getting Spayed

My friend owned Jet and decided to have her spayed at 6 months, when I saw her after the operation I could have cried, she had so much hair shaved from her side and a load of stitches. It was obvious she was sore.

I was so angry at the vet as I didnt think he needed to make such a large incision. I assumed the operation would be underneath and didnt expect Jet's operation to be on her side.

But after a week she was fine and it did take a few months for her hair to grow back, she did look funny though.

Now I own Jet and sometimes think I would have liked her to have had a litter before she got spayed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
29-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #2

Re: Cats getting Spayed

For female cats, being neutered is a big operation and does require lots of stitches and time to heal. It's not the same for male cats though, who are back to normal pretty much the same day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

It is usual these days for cats to be speyed via a side incision. Midline incisions (in the belly region) are bigger /more serious ops and are only usually done for cats that are going out onto the show bench.

I think your friend was very responsible having Jet speyed so as to avoid any litters of unwanted kittens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
29-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

it's usually just a small incision with only 2 or 3 stitsches needed.

A bigger incision is made if cats are pregnant when spayed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
29-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

Why would you want her to have a litter? If what you want is kittens, there are plenty of unwanted ones about. Having a litter does not carry health benefits for the mother - certainly not ones that outweigh the health benefits of being spayed.

It's unpleasant being spayed or neutered, but it's certainly more unpleasant to have ovarian or uterine cancers or infections, to have unwanted litters of kittens who can't find homes and to have cats who roam further from home and are thus at greater risk of accidents due to their hormonal makeup.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
29-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoof
Why would you want her to have a litter? If what you want is kittens, there are plenty of unwanted ones about. Having a litter does not carry health benefits for the mother - certainly not ones that outweigh the health benefits of being spayed.

It's unpleasant being spayed or neutered, but it's certainly more unpleasant to have ovarian or uterine cancers or infections, to have unwanted litters of kittens who can't find homes and to have cats who roam further from home and are thus at greater risk of accidents due to their hormonal makeup.
well said Snoof. Too many unwanted cats in the world.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
29-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #7

Of course I would have kept the litter or made sure they went to good homes.

Maybe I just want little Jet's about the place and for her line to continue.

I know it was probably best she didnt have any.