Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
27-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #11

Re: Tigger has Flu!!!!!!

Poor Tigger! My 5 cats all got cat flu a few years ago, they were aged 7 to 10 at the time, and when the oldest one came down with it first we went straight to the vet with her, but theres not much the vet can do, the other 4 came down with it within a few days.
You will be happy to know they all made a complete recovery. None of mine were given antibiotics either.
Some got it worse than others, but it took about 2 weeks for it to completly go.

Some tips for you, if Tigger gets a really blocked up nose he won't be able to smell his food and won't eat it, he might be off his food anyway and this won't help him recover, we would twice a day run some hot water in the bath (or run a hot shower) until the bathroom was all steamed up, then pick all the cat bogies out of there noses (nice job!) and take them to the steam room, then feed them in there, nice smelly food is good.
You could slightly warm up the food too for extra effect.
As long as he's eating/ drinking he should be fine, just keep a close eye on him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
27-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #12

I've had experience of cat flu. Do you know exactly what it is?? Is it the calici virus or herpes virus??

In my experience I learnt that it isn't actually curable, as it's a virus and virus's can't be treated. They either go away on their own or they don't. Antibiotics will help remove some of the symptoms i.e. the sneezing, but they do not remove the virus.

If the cat isn't particularly young or old then they do have a good chance of fighting it off, but they could still be a "carrier" and pass it on to other cats.

Also, if the virus gets more severe it can cause things like mouth ulcers, which can make it hard for the cat to eat and uncomfortable.

Having said all that, I'm sure that Tigger will be fine. He's a good age and should have a good immune system.

Oh and BTW - even vaccinated cats can still catch cat flu, as the vaccines aren't 100% - so don't beat yourself up about the fact he wasn't vaccinated.

Lots of hugs to you and Tigger. Keep us posted on his recovery.
xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
27-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #13

Get Well Soon Tigger x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
29-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #14

Tigger is at a good age to make a full recovery as cat flu uually affects the young and old seriously. Hope the anti-biotics kick in soon.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
01-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #15

Hope Tigger responds well to the antibiotics and gets better soon
xxxx