Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Losing weight in a higher meat diet.

We took Misty to the vet today because she had a sore bit on her side. Not sure what caused it, and she is fine, but she has lost some weight.

Over the past 3 weeks we have change all the cats on to hilife wet pouches and offer burns dry food ad-lib. They all get 2 pouches each, which I think should be enough for mainly older cats who don't move much- the company recommend 2-3 pouches for an average sized cat.
I said to the vet that she has maybe lost weight as they are on a diet with less carbohydrate added and 60% meat/fish instead. She didn't think that would happen.

Has anybody any experience of weight loss on a higher meat diet?

Misty is now booked in for blood tests to check her organ function and T4, she is 20 and was last tested May 08 for T4 and bloods NOV 08. So we will see!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #2

Re: Losing weight in a higher meat diet.

I saw your thread title and thought - no, not another Atkins diet!!! If Atkins principles are applied to Misty, I would think there is at least a chance that it's her higher protein diet that's caused her weight loss. But she is a venerable pusscat, isn't she? Gentle cuddles from me and Kizzy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

Hmmmm. Tricky one. I've started giving Balie more meat (previously on an exclusively dry diet) as he lost a huge amount of weight quite quickly.

It worked short-term as he devoured the sachets but rapidly came to refuse them almost completely (both premium RC and basic Whiskas). It's the antibiotics that have made a difference!

So - not sure if increasing wet food is the answer to be honest . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Hmmmm. Tricky one. I've started giving Balie more meat (previously on an exclusively dry diet) as he lost a huge amount of weight quite quickly.

It worked short-term as he devoured the sachets but rapidly came to refuse them almost completely (both premium RC and basic Whiskas). It's the antibiotics that have made a difference!

So - not sure if increasing wet food is the answer to be honest . . .
It is tricky finding the best diet for them. I have had the cats on a wet diet only for a year now, partially as Sooty is prone to cystitis and having older ones I think a wet diet is more beneficial when the kidneys start to deteriorate.
I have been trying to find something Misty will eat, as for a while she only took cooked white fish, and I was worried about her not getting a balanced diet. She does seem to be very hungry lately for the exercise she does- sleeps in front of her own radiator all day, with a few trots up and down the hall at feeding time. Thinking about it, it may well be her thyroid.