Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #1

2 plus cat homes

For those who have or have had more than one cat of different sexes, which do you find is the "top cat"?

In dogs it is usually the bitch in charge

In our household Tim appears in charge, Amber will defer to him & if i dont keep a watchful eye he will scoff his treats & then pinch hers

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
08-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #2

Re: 2 plus cat homes

We have a ginger Ninja boy Bailey who is 9 who is top boy cat and our top lady is a feral girl called Clio whho is tabby and 13 they rule with paws and claws and even Bailey has been known to duck if Clio is on one

The dogs are of course the cats pets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #3

When I had two (Sultan, male, and Misty, female) she was smaller and not the original cat, but definitely top cat. When the third female, Patches came, no difference, Misty _ Queen Bee.

Interesting post!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Harris tries to assert that it is his house by chasing skye but there isnt much difference between them in terms of pecking order. Although in terms of food, skye eats harris's if he leaves any in his dish

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Oh yes, Misty ate Sultan's too. He used to leave a bit for elevenses, not after she came!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
09-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #6

I think after getting Lester I'd be frightened to introduce another cat. I reckon Tiger would break the cat flap open and I wouldn't see him for dust! He is much more chilled with lester now but there is a huge difference in ages as he's 11 now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

This is an interesting thread and has made me think about my two. I have to say that it is fairly tricky to say with any certainty which is dominant, although I suspect it is Kizzy. She does leave Pip to his own devices especially when he brings in a creature but they have both been on the watch if said creature escapes. Kizzy will let Pip take her prey but Pip will not give his to Kizzy.

Generally, they live together happily - will sleep on the same bed (ours!) but not necessarily cuddled up together. They will also eat side by side, all without obvious dominance issues, but of course their language is subtle and I may just not be looking for the right signs.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

My two are strange (just like their mum). George appears to be the more dominant cat and I would class him as the Top Cat. However when it comes to food Milly is definitely the top cat. She bullies George out of the way and will eat his food as well as her own if she gets a chance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Angie I think Kizzy treats Pip as her kitten as "Mom" cats let the kittens have their prey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #10

In my case Cleo was in charge, even though Oz was almost half her size again and maybe half again maybe more her weight. He was also a proper "top cat" outside the house but inside he defered to her she washed him if she though he needed it..........and he would object like a small boy to an aunt who was using a handkerchief to wipe their face