Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
12-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #11

Re: Rudy & Caleb to be on TV

Ooh, celebrities! Well done to you and your dogs. I've never really been much aware of animal blood donation before, yet the need is obvious when you think about it. Must make sure I don't miss the programme.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #12

I must try to watch this, and persuade my Mum to watch it too - I think a quiet long dog would be perfect for her when she gets back into dog-ownership (she says she wants another dog but is going to experience the 'luxury' of being totally carefree for the summer) It's interesting that the Greyhound rescue societies actually say they are good dogs for older people - they really don't need a lot of exercise, are quiet in the house and are big enough not to get under elderly feet.

On the subject of blood donors - our surgery had a poster up when we took the boys for their jabs a couple of weeks ago. I was going to volunteer Bentley, as a laid back sort of soul, but he's not big enough. Cats have to be 5kg, which is pretty big, isn't it? The vet said that it tends to be the vets'/nurses' animals who 'volunteer'. His Geoffrey (cat) has donated three times and two of the recipients have pulled through.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I must try to watch this, and persuade my Mum to watch it too - I think a quiet long dog would be perfect for her when she gets back into dog-ownership (she says she wants another dog but is going to experience the 'luxury' of being totally carefree for the summer) It's interesting that the Greyhound rescue societies actually say they are good dogs for older people - they really don't need a lot of exercise, are quiet in the house and are big enough not to get under elderly feet.

On the subject of blood donors - our surgery had a poster up when we took the boys for their jabs a couple of weeks ago. I was going to volunteer Bentley, as a laid back sort of soul, but he's not big enough. Cats have to be 5kg, which is pretty big, isn't it? The vet said that it tends to be the vets'/nurses' animals who 'volunteer'. His Geoffrey (cat) has donated three times and two of the recipients have pulled through.
I can thoroughly recommend 'long dogs' for anyone DM! Poppy is a crazy greyhound, but is only just 12 months old, however, she will sleep for hours after a walk though. Rudy, who is 7, can sleep for England! Lovely dogs, quiet and so laid back & gentle. When Rudy gives blood, he lays there for 15-20 mins and doesn't fidget at all!

As far as I know PPBuk (Pet Blood Bank UK) is the only organisation that does canine blood donation, and unfortunately they can only travel 2 hours from their base in Loughborough at the moment. Last time Rudy donated, there was someone waiting to whisk the blood away as it was urgently needed.
http://www.petbloodbankuk.org/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #14

Does dog blood have to be "typed" like human blood???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #15

Don't know that, but I did find out that cats have two blood types - A & B

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #16

Thats excellent a celebrity in our midst...........

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Does dog blood have to be "typed" like human blood???
Yes, it does, and most greyhounds are 0 neg equivalent, making them very valuable donors.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #18

Thanks for that info Kim - that would make a good quiz question!

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks for that info Kim - that would make a good quiz question!
Everyone knows the answer now, we would have to leave it for a while!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Everyone knows the answer now, we would have to leave it for a while!
'
I've squirelled that away for down the road a bit when, hopefully, everyone will have forgotten!