Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #11

Re: I suspect you think I exaggerate

I think they are cute!!! But I have never had any problems with them, so until then I dont see them as trouble. Can understand why people get upset when they are destoying stuff though.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
23-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #12

Squirrels are cute to look at, but I didn't realise how destructive they are!! I also am not a fan of the grey squirrel. It's all I've seen here in Glasgow, and they're always fat and overfed by people who think its fun to watch how tame they are. In my old house (when I was a kid) we had one red squirrel who lived in our garden. Gorgeous wee thing and didn't seem destructive at all. Different breeds perhaps...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #13

Thanks, all for the comments! As far as I know, "squirrel damage" may or may not be covered by my insurance; people tend not to make a relatively small claim because they're likely to increase the premium...catch 22!! We call them tree rats, if they didn't have those fluffy tails it would be more obvious that they're rodents. You must rue the day some idiot decided to import the American greys; they drive out your native reds, which as I understand, aren't destructive. Sorry for the rant; I felt bad for my neighbor and good friend who went to a lot of trouble to make that nice display. I might add the Indian corn has been taken down......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I find it odd that they are protected in a nation which is happy to blast beautiful, and much rarer, animals in the name of the hunt. Is animal protection a State matter? I suspect it is?
So, Eileen, there's your mission in life. Start the SWAT (Stop Washington Animal Terrorists) Campaign Lobby City Hall for the power to humanely dispose of these little horrors.
Can you insure your premises against squirrel damage?
Varies, DM. Some are Federally protected, like the bald eagle, our national symbol, among others. States do have their own laws. I hate hunting...can you believe it's legal to shoot mourning doves...lovely little birds!! And in Alaska (home of the moose-shooting Republican Vice Presidential nominee), it's legal to shoot wolves from aircraft.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #15

Sorry, but I like them. I have feeders for them and they have never done any damage to our property. However, I can understand how annoyed your neighbour must tbe Eileen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #16

What a real shame. It was such a nice display - ruined.