Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
28-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

Blood tests.

Whenever a new cat arrives we get it blood tested for FIV/Felv, especially since losing Triger. Thankfully they have all been clear except for Tabatha, who lives in the study. Anyway, I now have Mr Tomsk in line to be seen to and he will be blood tested also, if he is FIV I think he would settle in the study with Tabsie, I would give it a try anyway.
However what if he is Felv positive, what do I do?
Usually most of my cats are vaccinated against it, but Fluffy, Jimmy and Pudding are not fit enough for the vaccine yet- although Jimmy and Pudding may well be OK now. I really don't think I have the heart to PTS while he is well, but what other option do I have- do I isolate him in another room until everyone is covered, I assume if they are all vaccinated it is less of an issue?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #2

Re: Blood tests.

With all your charges I do suppose you have to make plans just in case but hopefully his bloods will be clean.

I really don't know about risk of infection etc. other than by a bite.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #3

Re: Blood tests.

This might help you decide....

Once a cat has reacted positively to two virus isolation tests 12 weeks apart, he is certainly permanently infected.
If he is healthy no treatment is necessary , but it has to be faced that 85% of positive cats will die within 5 years (as compared to 15% of the general cat population). For the rest of his life he will be a potential source of infection to other cats if he comes into intimate contact with them. Generally speaking, if anyone who owns a FeLV positive cat is thinking of acquiring another cat this should be tested for FeLV Virus Neutralising antibodies. If it has antibodies it is immune to leukaemia and it safe to mix it with a positive cat. The mere fact that the new cat has been vaccinated is not enough - it may be one of the 20% who fail to respond to the vaccine. But if circumstances arise when it is unavoidable for an owner in this position to take in another cat (as happens frequently in cat rescue situations), remember that the virus is actually very difficult to pass on to other adult cats. Simple precautions like separate feeding dishes and cleaning the litter tray out as soon as it has been used are sensible.
If the infected cat is one of a multi-cat household, the others may either carry the virus or have Virus Neutralising antibodies, which means they are immune (this is very likely if they are all adults) or if they have no intimate contact with the infected cat, they may have neither. Remember, the highest risk of infection is to the kitten under 4 months.