Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
02-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Our special girl Dunkley

As an addendum to my intro post here are a few pics of our beloved girl, Dunkley. She was a feral tabby, born deep in the native bush of New Zealand and we miss her more than words can say.

Dunkley - a typical pose

Dunkley loved camping (in a motor caravan). Here she is preparing to do the washing up!

This is the Bonsai tree we planted in her memory.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies, 1 NFC & 1 Ragdoll
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #2

Re: Our special girl Dunkley

She is very sweet and I can see how special she is to you. We have also lost a few cats and I know how hard it is and how much you miss them.

Love the memorial plant, we did the same for ours however in bigger pots as its where we laid them to rest also.

Take care x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #3

Lovely tribute to a beautiful cat James. Thanks for the pics, she sure was special.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #4

Wasn't she a lovely girl! Such striking tabby markings; thanks for sharing those with us. That's s super looking bonsai; do you grow them? I love them, but no luck .,,,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #5

What a gorgeous looking cat. I'd love to hear the story about how she came to live with you if you'd like to tell it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
03-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #6

Many thanks for your comments. It means a lot to us to share our experiences with such a lovely feline. You may be interested to hear that I have produced a Keynote (similar to Powerpoint, but runs on the Mac) presentation “A tribute to Dunkley” (It was my way of coping with her loss). I would like you to see it, but I don’t want to take up so much space on the forum. Perhaps I will upload it to the Keynote site and let you have the pw.

Dunkley was a cat who adored music and we have complied a CD of the music she particularly loved - How did we know what she preferred? .... well, I suppose you could attribute it to her ‘body language’. We had two very large floor speakers. one of which stood quite near the door in the room where the HIFi was situated. If we played music that she liked she would jump down from the sofa or the human knee on which she was relaxing and sit right next to one of the speakers. If however, we played anything that she didn’t like she would head for the exit, walking in an exaggerated curve as she passed the speaker nearest the door

As a result of Dunkley’s interest in music I did some research into feline auditory skills and what, if anything, influenced their preferences. Many of you on this forum may know all this already, so apologies for the repetition, but for those who would like to know more, I could post a brief overview as it gives yet another insight into how remarkable cats are.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #7

I'd find that very interesting, James. None of my cats over the years have shown any interest in or reaction to music, except my Siamese who objected violently to a harmonica. (Played badly! )

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

That's a lovely tribute to Dunkley, James ....she certainly was a very special cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #9

I'd certainly be interested in knowing more James. I've had one cat who objected to my whistling, but I have to admit that I haven't noticed any of the other three showing either positive or negative reactions to music or whistling for that matter!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #10

Dunkley was a gorgeous looking Cat, thanks for sharing the pics of her.I too would be interested to learn more about the auditory skills of cats