Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #11

Re: indoor cats - to collar or not to collar... that is the question :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny
ive just been having a look around and cant seem to find anything.

these are bigger versions of the small windows u have in bathrooms where the whole window opens outwards...
I'll ask Lucy where she saw the ones she told me about

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy, BSHs
10-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I have 3 indoor only cats and they are all collared! Not so much for them escaping, I just need to have them with a bell on as to not be a trip hazard for me, especially when I'm using my walking stick!!
We've bought collars with bells on, for the same reason

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
10-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #13

mine are not chippd (have to do that b4 we move) bu wont bother putting collars on them, when u cchip them can u have a phone number put on instead of an address???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
mine are not chippd (have to do that b4 we move) bu wont bother putting collars on them, when u cchip them can u have a phone number put on instead of an address???
The microchip company hold the information relating to your cat's info including your address and phone numbers. When the cat is scanned for microchip, the microchip holds a unique number (the microchip itself doesn't display your personal telephone number or address) from which the microchip database can bring up your cat's details

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
10-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #15

I don't have collars on my two. Buster goes out occasionally when the weather is good as I can garantee he will come back because he is very food orianted (sp). I let Tilly out once so that she would know how to get back. She is am indoor cat until I can get a house with a cat proof garden as she sits in the road and I don't wan to risk her getting run over. Buster has got good road sense so goes out more. I don't have collars as I personally don't like them. Both are chipped though. They are alway shut in at night as well.

Sally

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
10-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #16

Hi will just chip in with my 5 pence worth, all of the cats that go out wear collars, they are chipped as well, the thing i don't have are tags on the collars, i buy the type that can be written on with an idelible pen either white,yellow or pink collars so can be easily read, as tags come off. I have tel numbers & a do not feed me written on collar! the cats that don't go out are not collared.
x K

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
11-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #17

My three indoor cats all wear collars and are microchipped. Nine years working for a vet I never saw one collar related injury on a cat but saw many many many lost cats never find their way back home. Not worth the risk of losing them in my opinion. Besides, if you can't hear the bell tinkering, how do you know when they are into something they shouldn't be?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #18

I think this is one of the most finely balanced of the perennial cat questions. Do the potential benefits outweigh the potential dangers? Difficult to say.
Personally, I don't like cat collars and none of mine have ever worn them. The boys are chipped. However, Bentley appears as if he is going to be an intrepid hunter. So, do I use a collar to hang a bell and save birds? Don't know yet.

The only thing I'd say to you specifically Jenny is to make sure you get one with a very easy 'snap' so it will break off easily. I am seeing a situation with a tenacious breed of cat and a tenacious breed of dog having a wonderful rough and tumble when Indie puts her jaws round the cat's neck and gets a long tooth caught in the collar. What happens next? Both panic, cat scrags, bites, screams, ..... goodness knows what ensues. Or, cat twists and twists to get free and risks strangling itself. Sorry, that sounds just awful but I think it is a significant risk with those two breeds.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #19

Cassie always wears a collar and is also chipped...... she has always worn the safety catch type which I always test before I buy for it's ability to come undone easily.
As she can be a bit of a hunter I attach an extra bell to her collar ........ not only does it help save the birds, I can hear where she is when she's out of sight....

My previous cat, Sam, also wore an ordinary collar for twelve years with no problem....

I think it is up to personal choice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #20

Mine are more or less indoor cats and never wear collars, Chancer goes out and about, but he doesn't wear one either....